Need Help... 2 in 2 out XLR (mic) switcher build

Started by clund, August 30, 2017, 09:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clund

Hello all...  need some help.   I have looked everywhere for a pedal that no one makes.   Here is my use case:   I have a Voicelive2 vocal processor that sits on my pedal board... I want to be able to switch the connected mic from mine to another singers mic.  So I want to have a switch that simply swaps the inputs to outputs.   So input 1 would go to output 1 and input 2 would go to output 2...  and when the switch is pushed...  input 1 would go to output 2 and input 2 would go to output 1.   With all all inputs and outputs being XLR.   

I'm trying to figure out what kind of switch I would need.  Most likely a 4pdt switch If I can share grounds...  but wondering if it needs a buffer, or anything for the switching to be clean.  Can anyone help with a switch diagram?    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

clund

This look correct....   just found this on the web

Hatredman

With mic levels (way below guiyar levels) this will pop like fireworks and blow the PA speakers (and the audience's eardrums), wouldn't it?

Methinks this is one of the cases where electronic switches (4066 or FETs like the Boss bypass) would be better.

--
Scarlett Johansson uses a Burst Box with her Telecaster.

Kirk Hammet invented the Burst Box.

LiLFX

How crazy do you want to get? If you want to guarantee no thumping AND make it phantom power "safe" you can go wild with relays and an Arduino Pro Mini. It's extreme overkill, but since you can get from from eBay for $2 it's easier than discrete logic for not much more cost. I can draw what I'm thinking if you are interested.

clund

No need for Phantom power...  They are standard Shure Beta 58s...  BUT I would like to avoid any obnoxiously loud pops (I can live with a small or discrete sound at switching)

clund

Having never setup a switch system for XLR - lowZ, I wasn't sure what other pieces are needed.  I think I am good if it's straight switch to input/output, But if additional pieces are needed, I would need part and scheme, if anyone could help from that aspect, it would be much appreciated!

PRR

The switch and jacks are not that expensive. Just wire it up and try. Cutting up short mike cables is less work than mounting chassis jacks. When it hums, tuck it in a metal cookie tin.
  • SUPPORTER