Boss RC-3 Midi Sync Project

Started by JamezLast, September 06, 2017, 07:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamezLast

Hello there,
I want to build a MIDI Sync for the Boss RC-3 Looper.

Figured out that an Arduino microcontroller can be set up to receive MIDI notes. I want to feed the Arduino with a stream of MIDI quarter notes. Upon receive the Arduino should then switch a reed-relais to make the contact needed for the RC-3. The reed-relais should be connected to the external footswitch jack of the RC-3.

The RC-3 manual states that 'tap tempo' will only work with the external footswich when in 'stop' mode. When in 'playback' the external footswitch will STOP the looper. Not desired for my usecase!

My goal is to use the setup in a band context. RC-3 should be in sync with the songtempo of the band and I want to be able to start and stop loop-phrases with the normal footswitch of the RC-3 (the one build on the pedal).

Thus:
Does any one know if there is a way of wiring the external connection in a way that the RC-3 does only recognize 'tap tempo' and does NOT stop when in 'playback'?

Maybe, do I need to hack into the tiny dedicated tap-tempo button on top of the device? Is this switch easily accessible / easy to solder wires on?

On the logic-board, is there a point where I could solder wires on to just simulate continous tap-tempo?

Any thoughts on the topic would be very welcome. I have ordered all the Arduino/Midi stuff to start with but did not get my hands on the RC-3 yet. And no, I do not want to use a JamMan with SyncMan - I have read this is not very stable...

If in the end I would be successfull, I would post the full project here of course!

Thanks a lot!

James