Stereo overdrive help

Started by Gumby212, September 06, 2017, 05:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumby212

I have two questions here. I am building a unique stereo overdrive pedal (2 inputs, 2 outputs) that is 2 seperate circuits in one enclosure, but with only 1 4pdt footswitch (using it like 2 "millennium bypass" switches to get true bypass and an LED for each circuit). Ive also added bypass toggles for each circuit so they can be ran independently. Im cirious if its possible to add a switch to turn the pedal into a mono pedal, using only the left input and output to run both circuits. Would a buffer need to be involved? Or is it a simple wiring job by somehow jumping the ins and outs together via a...4pdt toggle maybe??

2nd question: would making my 2 bypass toggles 3pdt instead of 2pdt give me the possibility to wire a "kill switch" for my LEDs, so when in bypass the LEDs that show the pedal is active can be killed? If so, how would it be wired exactly? I hope im making since as im pretty new to the hobby. Any help or tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Plexi

It's a bit difficult to me to understand your plan :-)

Do you have any schematic, or draw?
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

slacker

That sounds interesting :)
You can kill the LEDs by disconnecting the wire between your 4PDT switch and the control line of the millenium bypass. Like you suggested, you could use 3PDT bypass toggles and use the spare lugs to break the connection.
For making it mono you could wire half a DPDT to connect the input of the right pedal to the tip of the right input jack for stereo use or to the tip of left input jack for mono use. So in mono both inputs are connected together in parallel, that normally works fine for inputs.
For the outputs you can basically do the same thing but it's a good idea to add a resistor in series with each output. something a few K Ohms will do, this mixes the two signals together and isolates them a bit from each other.
Instead of a stereo/mono switch you could use switching jacks wired so if only the left jack is inserted the tips are wired together for mono and inserting the right jack wires it for stereo.
Hope that makes sense.

Gumby212

Sounds like you can help me. Thanks so much for your interest and response. This is a special stereo overdrive im building particularly for a buddy of mine who plays through 2 amps. He wanted to enguage 2 overdrives at once (one to each amp) without using a looper. Its stereo in bc its going after his ABY pedal so he needed stereo ins and outs. How exactly would i break the LED? Is it as simple as wiring the neg leg to the 3rd pole of a toggle, and another lug back to the millennium circuit and i guess the toggle breaks the connection? Im not sure exactly how to do that but i do have this pedal working on a breadboard and im confident ill be able to figure that out by messing around with it. However, is there anyway you can be more detailed on the stereo to mono toggle? Is there a wiring diagram out there i could refer to? As complicated as this build seems, im pretty new to the hobby and have had a lot of help getting this pedal figured out. So i have alot to learn. I understand how the throws and poles work of a switch, but still get confused with how to wire certain things until i actually get on a breadboard and start tinkering. Im curious sbout the switching jacks you mentioned instead of a toggle? Im not familiar with those... thanks alot for youd help! Im close to getting this thing in an enclosure, but i thought these last few mods would really make this pedal perfect.

Gumby212

I figured out how to kill the LEDs when bypass toggles are enguaged. I sent the + of the LED to the center lug of my 3rd pole on the toggle, then wired one of the throws to 9v, leaving the other throw going nowhere. Worked like a charm. Cant seem to wrap my head around the stereo/mono switch wiring tho. Would the switching jacks make more since or be less wiring for this idea? Would all 4 ins and outs need to be these switching jacks, or just the left in and out? (Left would be my mono). Once again, any layouts or drawings would be much appreciated. Thanks for the help!