Author Topic: Lab RAT - an unorthadox take on a classic  (Read 791 times)

PRR

Re: Lab RAT - an unorthadox take on a classic
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 11:12:51 PM »
I don't coddle power supplies either. Rectifier current rating should be much more than the transformer (not the load). If I am bored I might look at main cap ripple rating; but in audio gear we usually throw so much uFd per Amp in there that sheer bulk ensures tolerable ripple.

Ask your power company. After a summer power failure, they will just throw the breaker ON for thousands of houses. The start-up surge of the thousands of air-conditioners greatly exceeds the nominal rating of all the transformers. The system goes "HHHRng" for a second, and power is up again.

vigilante397

Re: Lab RAT - an unorthadox take on a classic
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2017, 12:27:50 AM »
Got my 9AQ8 today and I have to admit feeling a little underwhelmed. The convenience of 9V heaters is brilliant, but it is quite a low gain tube. From my quick breadboard testing I think it would make a fine clean boost, and I may try it with 9V on the plates like a valvecaster, but with 180V on the plates it's just too clean to be useful to me.
"I'm not sure what "serious design flaws" you see. Does it explode or poison your dog?" - PRR

"Tayda's Whipping Boy"

http://www.sushiboxfx.com