Aron, Shaka tube power schemo

Started by Mike Nichting, November 04, 2003, 01:04:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Nichting

Hey Aron,
I just looked at the schematic for the Shaka Tube and it has a 12 Volt Transitor for power. I am using a 12.6 V power for the Tube Driver for GGG. Can I use the same setup that you have for the shaka tube tp power the Tube driver??
If so what is 4-5 on the schematic??

Thanks
Mike N.
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

aron

I'm not familiar with the Tube driver even though I have one!

Doug would know, however it's 12VAC that I am using and 4 and 5 are pins 4 and 5 which are the heaters.

george

Quote from: aronI'm not familiar with the Tube driver even though I have one!

Doug would know, however it's 12VAC that I am using and 4 and 5 are pins 4 and 5 which are the heaters.

The Tube driver on GGG and the Shaka Tube have exactly the same circuit for the power supply.

Pins 4 and 5 are on the 12AX7

just my 0.02

Mike Nichting

That it what I have been waiting for~!!! I have never had to build power because I have never used a transformer. I now have one for the Tube driver which is 12.6 volts and I didn't know how to hook the transformer up~!!

Let me ask you this: my transformer has all the same color wires, I know the 2 for the power cord don't matter which is which but the 3 on the other side I don't know about. I am not useing the center wire but what about the outside 2?? Aree they pos. and neg or not??

Thanks all. I am going to build the Shaka tube~!!

Mike
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".

Peter Snowberg

As long as you know which side of the transfomer gets the wall voltage, you're in great shape. :)

The wires coming out are AC just like the ins so you don't have to worry about polarity. The plus and minus are generated by the diodes just after the 10 ohm resistor. Use the outside wires and leave the center tap floating (taped up or cut). I can say with almost 100% certianty that the side with the three wires will be the secondary, but you should verity this with a meter. The secondary will have a lower DC resistance so it's easy to spot.

Good luck with your build! :D

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Doug H

Quote from: aronI'm not familiar with the Tube driver even though I have one!

Yeah, I guess I was wrong about the DC heaters. I must have been thinking about something else.

Doug

Mike Nichting

Ok, The primary leads don't care how I wire them up. I can make either side pos. or neg. so whichever side I make pos. I should carry that across to the same side of the secondary and make that pos., right??

If so this is easier than I thought because JD already has the rest of the power supply in the circuit.

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: Mike NichtingOk, The primary leads don't care how I wire them up. I can make either side pos. or neg. so whichever side I make pos. I should carry that across to the same side of the secondary and make that pos., right??

If so this is easier than I thought because JD already has the rest of the power supply in the circuit.

I hope this sheds a little light... we deal with two types of electricty for the most part, AC and DC.

In DC, the EMF or electromotive force, or power, or juice, or whatever you want to call it always runs in one direction. That gives you a plus and a minus because the power is always flowing from the minus to the plus (diode schematic symbols were made BEFORE this was known, so they're all backwards  :P).

With AC power, the plus and minus designations trade places at twice the power line frequency. In North America, that means the power flows in one direction for 1/120th of a second, followed by the power flowing in the opposite direction for the next 1/120th of a second. The + and - are constantly trading places.

With a transformer eating AC and producing AC, you don't have to worry about polarity all because each wire is positive for 50% of the time and negative for the rest. As long as you don't confuse the primary and secondary coils, all you have to do it hook it up. Sometimes in electronics it's really easy to think there's more to it when you see something simple. Sometimes it really is that simple. :D

I hope that helps.

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation