Question about placing pot between output jack on a one knob style fuzz

Started by pete_g, September 08, 2017, 05:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pete_g

The one knob fuzz, rust driver and DAM meathead get brighter at the very end when you turn them up but the volume is way too loud at that point.
Could you place a pot between the output of the circuit and the out out jack, to then turn the fuzz/control all the way up, get the brightness you want hut control the overal volume to a workable level?
Does it affect the tone/sound (like a volume control does when you turn it down on a guitar?)
Is a 100k pot the correct value for that? Does it need any cap or resistor in any place as to not change the sound? Thanks

antonis

Sound doesn't "change" with only resistor (or voltage divider) placing..
(in a way other than signal voltage level..)

Don't know your circuit but if it has an output cap then you have to consider it as a High Pass Filter created with Volume pot you want to add..
(HPF corner frequency will be variable with pot setting but if its higher brightness setting is lower than one already set by the circuit, it will do no harm..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

pete_g

It's the meathead single knob fuzz and the colorsound one knob fuzz box. Will just a pot do, connected from the circuit out to lug 3, lug 2 to output jack and lug 1 to ground?
I'd try it but I've already got them in an enclosure and wanna make sure before I start taking things out. The schematic here:

Plexi

I've built tons of this one knob fuzz's
I'm not sure what you whant: less highs when its loud?

In that case...I'll check for the input cap: in some models (Deluxe Meathead, or Black Acid) they place a pot at the input that pans between two caps (from 1uf to 4n7).
Thats the difference between the "dark" and normal Meathead.

I love this things btw :-)
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

italianguy63

Funny... I build a bunch of DA Fuzz Faces.. Looked at the Meathead, and liked it.. I want to build one..

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

Ben Lyman

...Will just a pot do, connected from the circuit out to lug 3, lug 2 to output jack and lug 1 to ground?

Sounds like you might be referring to putting 2 volume pots in parallel on the output. I think the answer is probably "no" sorry.
I just breadboarded the Colorsound One Knob today and it was great, a lot more fuzz than a Fuzz Face and way ballsier too.
A lot like a Tone Bender or Supafuzz. Funny thing tho, my maximum output was too low, so I guess the opposite of your problem.
I changed the 82r to a 2k2 and the 2k2 to a 2k7, then I got a nice bias and lots of output volume.
Reduced volume pot to A100K to tame the output level a little bit.
I also added a C500K pot to the input to control the gain and got very nice light overdrive sounds up to full on fuzz.
But then it's not a "One Knob" anymore, now is it...
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

pete_g

What happens when you put say an Eq after it to control the overal output so you can crank the meathead to full volume so as to hear the high end fizzle that happens only when it's turned to full?
Can you put volume pot in a pedal after it, and wouldn't it do the same thing then, volume out to volume out, 1st one full, then the 2nd to tame the overall output?
Does it need something like the ehx signal pad? Would that circuit work after the output sectioon of the meathead?
I've built 50 pedals and this seems like a dumbass question, but I thought I'd get some input about it. I can only try and see

Ben Lyman

-Can you put volume pot in a pedal after it, and wouldn't it do the same thing then, volume out to volume out, 1st one full, then the 2nd to tame the overall output?

The cranked volume pot will be nothing more than a voltage divider, easily replaced with 2 fixed resistors, and as such (I'm guessing) will most likely give the opposite result of the goal you seek.
edit: oops, brain fart, the first pot at max will just be a resistor to ground parallel with the next pot, simply altering the value of the next pot.

Late last night I tweaked the resistors on Q2 and output cap to get more volume out of it and added a BMP tone stack before the volume knob.
So, it's not exactly what you are referring to but it works great because the BMP tone knob cuts bass and boosts treble as you turn it up.
I just need to tweak the values in the tone stack to make it a little more perfect, I started with 47K/10n and 10n/47K on a B100K pot.

Coming along great, plenty of beef or fizz and everything in between, check the current status here:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=118576.msg1104345#msg1104345
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

pete_g

is that c1m input pot a control like a pre-gain so that you can crank the output volume and get the top end out of the one knob fuzz I was looking for?

antonis

Can't follow a thread starting with just lowering volume at specific pot setting and resulting in EQ/tonestack addition..
(passive HPFs/LPFs indeed attenuate signal but isn't an overkill trying to keep the already obtained brightness through an extra arrangenment for only purpose of some dBs attenuation..??)  :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..