Germanium frequency doublers

Started by Pedal love, November 30, 2012, 08:49:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedal love

So I have been gone for a while. I tried this doubler, I made and it sounds ok but there is one difference from the silicons we built here. The main thing about the the one I designed is that the silicons seem to have so many odd sounding harmonics that the purer sound is lost. On the germanium transistor one I designed, you can use more guitar techniques eg. Pinch harmonics, picking thumb harmonics, so forth. There is little to get in your way, so your guitar techniques come through better. Anyway thanks to everyone here for your support.

Pedal love

Quote from: Pedal love on November 30, 2012, 08:49:33 AM
So I have been gone for a while. I tried this doubler, I made and it sounds ok but there is one difference from the silicons we built here. The main thing about the the one I designed is that the silicons seem to have so many odd sounding harmonics that the purer sound is lost. On the germanium transistor one I designed, you can use more guitar techniques eg. Pinch harmonics, picking thumb harmonics, so forth. There is little to get in your way, so your guitar techniques come through better. Anyway thanks to everyone here for your support.
I have finished The Octavia after years.
I will be posting sound files soon.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Pedal love

Quote from: Pedal love on August 21, 2017, 03:38:20 AM

Here is a link, I only have youtube with barebones_- fuzz guitar and Octavia to solid state amp,
at this time. Thank you for watching.

https://youtu.be/JTl-dgfO-dE

Pedal love

Quote from: Pedal love on August 21, 2017, 04:47:56 PM

Here is a link, I only have youtube with barebones_- fuzz guitar and Octavia to solid state amp,

Here's one with only the pedal, no fuzz.

https://youtu.be/_rgQ9AsBsY8

Pedal love

Quote from: Pedal love on August 21, 2017, 05:39:35 PM
Quote from: Pedal love on August 21, 2017, 04:47:56 PM

Here's one with only the pedal, no fuzz.

https://youtu.be/_rgQ9AsBsY8

You need info? Actually I feel the one I made the last time I was here was bulls**t. So I sent back for the drawing board to make one I made 20 years ago. It is true that I knew about Germanium Octavias that long ago. What I didn't know is how the first one was designed. Luckily I really have a mother who doesn't get rid of my drawings and she had this schematic that long. I tell you I was kidding myself. This is the one I like the best. This is the one that sounds the best. I WAS kidding myself. I will be putting up more clips as time provides.

Pedal love

Here is a video I made on youtube with realtime text labels depicting controls. More later.

https://youtu.be/bYKIZVyAe7Q

Pedal love

Video is small so there are labels depicting control changes in real time.

GibsonGM

Off to work, no time to listen, but good to see it done after some time has gone by!    :)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Pedal love

Quote from: GibsonGM on August 25, 2017, 06:46:53 AM
Off to work, no time to listen, but good to see it done after some time has gone by!    :)
Thanks for the reply, GibsonGM. If you have any requests, I will do my best to help. If anyone wants something as well, please let me know.Thank you.

Pedal love

I was away too long. I tried to incorporate the playing styles into one video. When I get time I will take the driver half, of the last one I made, and put that into a driver pedal, and drive the octave pedal here. Thanks and hope everyone is well.

Pedal love

Quote from: Pedal love on August 25, 2017, 04:17:46 PM
I was away too long. I tried to incorporate the playing styles into one video. When I get time I will take the driver half, of the last one I made, and put that into a driver pedal, and drive the octave pedal here. Thanks and hope everyone is well.

The thing with the Octavia is if you are in the studio, try to split the signal and add fuzz, or something else on one side and Octavia on the other side. It's too much to put it all together live, but if you need it, do it.

Pedal love

Quote from: Pedal love on September 17, 2017, 12:44:18 AM
Quote from: Pedal love on August 25, 2017, 04:17:46 PM

The thing with the Octavia is if you are in the studio, try to split the signal and add fuzz, or something else on one side and Octavia on the other side. It's too much to put it all together live, but if you need it, do it.

I can't seem to drive this well with voltage amps. Current amps are better as drivers and fuzzes can drive an Octavia well. The sounds tend to improve, with gain that holds together well.

Pedal love

Using fuzzes with a very symmetrical waveform, like a Rat Distortion or Mongoose Fuzz, tends to give it the right edge. When I have driven Octavias with asymmetrical signals like with the Fuzz Face, I tend to have problems with response.