dialing in a mosfet?

Started by plexi12000, June 15, 2018, 01:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plexi12000

hey dudes....rookie needs some help.  I built a dirt box with mosfets.  have some "gating", I belive it's called?  the sound can sorta 'cut out' when a note is decaying?

do I adjust them like a jfet? adjust the resisitor value at its drain? thank you!

GibsonGM

Use this as a guide, dude.  A trimmer there would probably work, but I like how Jack has this set up.

http://www.muzique.com/schem/mosfet.htm
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

plexi12000

ok thank you Gibson......i'm gunna have to look over my schematic and see whats doin. 

GibsonGM

YW Plexi...I'd be probably just try a trimmer.   IIRC, the mosfet boost with BS170 required a 2.7k drain resistor. 

I tossed a 2N7000 in, and needed 22k!    So you could use a pot of maybe 50k wired as variable resistor,  and try to dial it in.  If you find you need more control, figure out what range of resistance you're in and use a smaller pot to dial it in.   

Ex: If you use a 50k pot, you find a sweet spot but can't quite get it...take out pot, it is 20k when you measure it.  You could pop an 18k resistor in, and use a 5k or 10k pot to allow you more tweaking range.   When it's the way you like, measure pot, replace your trimmer with 1 fixed resistor...     :) 

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...