Where best to buy EVERYTHING (I'm in the UK)

Started by BulletBill, September 13, 2017, 03:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BulletBill

I want to get started building circuits on vero, but I have no components! Where's the best place to get a few caps/resistors in all the common values for pedals, the other bits like pots/jacks, etc...?

Bitsbox?

stallik

When I started, I went to Maplin as it was the only place I knew. I bought a velleman pack of resistors and another of capacitors. Each pack contained a large selection of values in even steps. They also come with handy guides to interpret the codes. The strips of resistors are even printed with the values. They served me extremely well for my first builds and I've kept them topped up as my supplies dwindle.

Sure, you'll read here that many, including myself, have precious little respect for such stores and their mostly inept staff but for the above packs, case I'd still recommend them. You'll end up with a good starting selection of at least 2 of the most common components and learn a lot about where not to buy next time :)

There is also the Internet. Tayda and other larger suppliers are very competitively priced whereas smaller suppliers such as smallbear really add value by also stocking safe supplies  of those odd things that we really want as well as offering a superior service all round.

And welcome by the way
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

roseblood11

I support the small spezialized suppliers whenever I can.

NFX

moid

Bitsbox are very good, really fast delivery too.
Mushrooms in Shampoo -  Amidst the Ox Eyes - our new album!

https://mushroomsinshampoo.bandcamp.com/album/amidst-the-ox-eyes

bluebunny

I'll just repeat what the others have mentioned.  Yeah, Bitsbox is very good and quick.  Rapid is OK for a lot of stuff, particularly if you get over the £30 shipping threshold.  Farnell can be useful too for bulk and more obscure stuff.  Tayda is great, but relatively slow: use the frequent discount coupons to stock up on stuff.  And don't use Maplin unless you really, really, really have to!  But you won't find a single supplier that will sell you everything you need.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

deadastronaut

''don't use Maplin unless you really, really, really have to!''

great advice, they never have more that 1 or 2 of what you need...
even then, its probably been put in the wrong bin...wrong value etc..
so if you really really have to double check what they hand you... ;)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

BulletBill

I've ordered a load of stuff from bitsbox, enough to pimp a crybaby and build at least 3-4 fuzz/dirt/boost circuits I reckon.

Thanks everyone. Expect silly cry-for-help threads very shortly!

bluebunny

Good news.  We're all on commission at Bitsbox.   ;)   (Kidding...)

Just go easy on the "silly cry-for-help" threads.  You might just get some cheeky "silly try-this" responses.  Not naming names or anything.  Just sayin'...   ;D
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

anotherjim

I think it's well worth it to begin with to buy multi component packs like the Velleman ones - others exist. You only need to buy them once, then restock the values you use a lot. Resistors are cheap enough to get them in strips of 100 per value, but decide on the quantity price breaks.
Bitsbox range is capable of filling most of our needs (and it's improving all the time while the big boys actually get worse). Their service is good, but of course you can find cheaper.