Utility board: I/O Jacks + Power jack + 3PDT

Started by Plexi, September 18, 2017, 07:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plexi

I can see where the trouble is about opionions and experiencies.
And of course: there's a lot of troubles about this "all in one" method, with the most critical and movement (sometimes, rough forces) components/hardware.

Years ago, when I didn't was on DIY, bought an EHX's LPB brand new.
It stops working at week: tooked to a """technician""" and didn't found the trouble, "all the components and soldereds are fine, idk".
After revisions, was a cold soldered, the 3PDT was a micron "over" the jacks line/level, and when it lose tight, at first swtich pop: goodbye soldered.

Since that, I repaired 3 more EHX's, same problem...all Nano versions.
That's why they use now the 3PDT in a separated board, connected with a flat cable..I guess.

Anyway... here I'm, just trying to test thist method: what about only a board for the Jacks (I/O and power)?

My personal trouble is that I have a batch of generic jack's, very short pin, stereo, that I would like to use in a more ordered/tidy way.

To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

Ice-9

Quote from: Plexi on September 22, 2017, 11:04:26 AM
I can see where the trouble is about opionions and experiencies.
And of course: there's a lot of troubles about this "all in one" method, with the most critical and movement (sometimes, rough forces) components/hardware.

Years ago, when I didn't was on DIY, bought an EHX's LPB brand new.
It stops working at week: tooked to a """technician""" and didn't found the trouble, "all the components and soldereds are fine, idk".
After revisions, was a cold soldered, the 3PDT was a micron "over" the jacks line/level, and when it lose tight, at first swtich pop: goodbye soldered.

Since that, I repaired 3 more EHX's, same problem...all Nano versions.
That's why they use now the 3PDT in a separated board, connected with a flat cable..I guess.

Anyway... here I'm, just trying to test thist method: what about only a board for the Jacks (I/O and power)?

Ok but MXR for example sell millions of pedals with all these bits on board, if they all failed because of board mounted parts then they would not make them like this, the problem for DIY makes is actually drill all the holes in the correct position thus not putting strain on the pcb. Get it all correct and reliability is as good if not better than any other method.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.