AC cut off footswitch

Started by Gumby212, September 19, 2017, 11:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumby212

Anyone know of a schematic for a box that has an AC outlet on it, tied to an AC input with a footswitch in between to cutt its power. Im looking for a way to turn power on and off to some low voltage LED par cans and a dj laser via a footswitch, without just using a powerstrip. Obviously there would be a power rating for the load it can handle, and im not too familiar with dealing with AC power. Any leads on anything like this?

italianguy63

Just a generalization...

I try to avoid any kind of line voltage in stomp boxes.  There becomes a real electrocution hazard say if you are doing a gig, and it starts raining.. or something like that.

So, if I was to give any two cents.  I would design something at a low DC voltage that would drive a power relay elsewhere (at the lighting).  MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

Gumby212

Very good point. Any drawings or diagrams for your example of an alternative? Im not familiar with power relays... Thanks for your input!

italianguy63

I am heading out of town shortly for a couple days..

You want to do something like this...  The relay will be at the lights.  You run low voltage DC to the relay to energize it.

It is called an "interposing relay"

If you want to get fancy, you can even use wireless or infrared transmitters to switch it-- (no wires at all).

Anyway!  Good luck!

MC

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

GGBB

Can't you just use a floor lamp footswitch? Very common hardware store item.
  • SUPPORTER

PRR

Carling 110-SP is essentially what Fender used for reverb foot-switches for decades, and is rated 6 Amps and "appliances".
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/carling-technologies/110-SP/432-1210-ND/696605

6 Amps at 120V is 720 Watts, a fair light. At "low voltage" it takes more Amps to make the same Watts, so you better figure out just what you are doing.

While this would fit the standard Fender foot-lump, the switch is not insulated for rain and a metal dish just improves the chances of a shock.

> im not too familiar with dealing with AC power

Then I REALLY advise you to leave it alone. Find a pre-made safety-tested solution.
  • SUPPORTER

Fancy Lime

I'm not quite catching what the plan is. Also, am I the only one who does not know what a "dj laser" is? Is that one of those mini laser-show thingamajigs? Haven't seen those anywhere other than the entrance of shady "used" cellphone stores, ever. May I inquire how you use that, just out of curiosity (not judging anyone here). Do you want to turn that on and off by cutting its power? Depending on the device that may not be advisable. Same for the LED par cans. Do these things not usually have control inputs?

And if cutting the power is really the way to go for you, I would just buy a remote controlled power strip. Probably cheaper than making your own relay-box, all things considered. Plus, its safe and tested and you can put the AC power line bits out of harms way and just have the switch on stage if you go wireless. Any largish hardware store or furniture store should have those. Amazon has, too.

Good luck,
Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!