How would I make a 4 jack version of this pedal?

Started by steveyraff, September 21, 2017, 11:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveyraff

Hey guys,

Built a few K.O.T clones of various kinds lately - some with various internal controls externalised etc.

Someone was asking me if I could build them one of the 4 jack models. I've never built a pedal like that before. According to the website, when the outer most input and output is used, it works like a conventional double stomp pedal ie both sides can be stacked etc. However, for people using patching systems, you can use an input and output for each side.

Is there any really easy to follow wiring guides for this sort of thing available?

Layout: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/analogman-king-of-tone.html

Many thanks as ever!
Stevey.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

vigilante397

The layout you provided there is actually only a single channel, i.e. half of the King of Tone, also sold as the Prince of Tone. To make a King of Tone with 4 jacks you would simply put an input and output jack on both channels and put both channels in the same box.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

steveyraff

Quote from: vigilante397 on September 21, 2017, 12:30:35 PM
The layout you provided there is actually only a single channel, i.e. half of the King of Tone, also sold as the Prince of Tone. To make a King of Tone with 4 jacks you would simply put an input and output jack on both channels and put both channels in the same box.

Yea I know - but I've made half a dozen with both circuits in one box like the King of Tone. The kind I make like this is a double stomp with a high gain mod on one side, 4 knobs on each side, and 2 diode switches on each side.

If I do as you say, it'll be just two entirely separate pedals in one enclosure with their own inputs and ouputs. How would you wire it so you still have the option to use it as a double "stackable" pedal OR two individual pedals in one enclosure?
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

vigilante397

The only way I can think of (besides having a dedicated hardware switch for the purpose) is to use switched jacks on output #1 and input #2 so it acts more like having an FX loop between the two stages.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

steveyraff

Quote from: vigilante397 on September 21, 2017, 03:14:38 PM
The only way I can think of (besides having a dedicated hardware switch for the purpose) is to use switched jacks on output #1 and input #2 so it acts more like having an FX loop between the two stages.

Hmm - I don't really have any experience with that sort of wiring. I better look it up. I need to find some sort of a dummies guide to it.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

GGBB

Quote from: steveyraff on September 21, 2017, 03:30:57 PM
I need to find some sort of a dummies guide to it.

You have a connection between out1 and in2.

You need to break that connection when a plug is inserted into one of the jacks.

You need a switching jack (or two if you want either jack to break the connection):

Pretend out1 is "Send" and in2 is "Return."

When no plug is inserted, the switch contact (#2) is connected to the tip (#1), so send is connected to return.

When a plug is inserted, the tip and switch contact are pushed away from each other breaking the connection between the two.
  • SUPPORTER