Havent used site for a while, now the schmatics links are down

Started by menome, September 21, 2017, 06:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

menome

"lift" as in remove, and replace with the new value resistor to positive and capacitor to ground?  I have noticed the soundtank series, in general, have poor power filtering- after going through a couple, i finally tried testing my mod in a different building, and it didnt pick up any more 60 cycle hum.  The guy at the music store suggested a .47 cap, but he also tried to tell me that a late-model big muff had the old op amp ic...

Rob Strand

The steps would be:
1) Find R11 and make sure it's 47k
2) Lift the side of R11 that connects to the +9V rail;  lift only one side.
3) Connect a 1k between +9V and the floating end of R11 (the side you just lifted)
4) Connect the +ve of the added cap to the point where R11 and the added 1k join.
5) Connect the -ve of the added cap to ground.

With a 1k resistor anything less than 1uF won't achieve much.
10 uF will give noticeable improvement.
47uF approaching a practical limit of goodness.

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

menome

the walkthrough is much appreciated.  I especially needed to hear that the capacitor joins between r11 and the new resistor, i would have put it before r 11.

the on switch is also funny- like most well-used soundtanks.  i remember there being a resistor mod to adjust response- as opposed to buying a new switch, but i cant access those old posts, so, if anyone remembers this one...

menome

i dug out my socket adapter and LM 308N, but, laughably, now that im looking at how close those ic leads are, im starting to wonder how i pulled off a steady-handed solder job when i started the mod.  And that just reminds me of reconnecting traces from battery corrosion damage and wishing i had a drill press.

Rob Strand

Quotei remember there being a resistor mod
I have a feeling I increased the cap across the switch from 1nF to 10nF; C27 on PL5 schematic.
What that does is filter switch bounce more.

Quotenow that im looking at how close those ic leads are, im starting to wonder how i pulled off a steady-handed solder job when i started the mod
LOL!
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

menome

dont worry, that doesnt mean i quit. that means im going to have to start breadboarding.