Electric shock from power supply (and how to fix it?)

Started by seadi123, September 23, 2017, 08:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadi123

Whenever im touching the strings on my guitar, and im touching the ground bare foot, i feel a small zap. I only feel it if i slightly touch the strings, bridge, or any part thats connected to ground. When i grab the neck and strings with me whole hand i dont realy feel it. I know the problem is the adapter, I have another adapter that works correctly but it is extremely noisy and unusable. Also, the current faulty adapter makes a lot of noise if im not touching the strings (or any ground point, like the pedal enclosure), and it goes away when im touching them and my feet are on the ground. I've already orderen another power supply but it is going to take a while to ship, i was wondering if there is anything i can do to fix my current adapter? I've already gone through 3 batteries and its not convenient like this. Thanks!

R.G.

You're describing a minor amount of AC line leakage. A major amount of AC line leakage would kill you when you do that.

Whether you can fix it or not depends on the nature of the supply and your technical skills. If it's a glued-together plastic box and has only two prongs on the case for plugging into the wall socket, chances are very dim. Even if you do crack it open to work on it, and even if you can dope out what to change to eliminate the AC leakage, chances are poor for gluing it back together.  If it's a power supply you made out of bits and pieces, you have a better chance of fixing it, and we'll start asking questions about the internal schematic and packaging.

There is one relatively sure cure: an isolation transformer. You're getting the leakage because one side of the AC line is "neutral" and connected to earth ground at your breaker box and out on the service pole. The "line" or "hot" wire then swings +/-176V peak, 120Vrms around the neutral. Any leakage from the line to the rest of the circuit is what you're feeling, because you're the human conductor between the "hot" wire and real, no-fooling planet earth ground. An isolation transformer breaks the connection of the neutral to planet earth, so the AC line to the adapter no longer has a path to the planet with you in it. Of course, you could just wear shoes and be careful about it until the right/good/safe adapter comes.

In any case don't go fooling around in there unless you have more knowledge of AC power lines, leakage, etc. We really would rather that you stay alive and/or don't burn down your house.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

seadi123

I was just about to say that i measured 9.6v DC on my multimeter, but when i switched to AC it also measured 19 on the same spot. I'm guessing you are right about the ac leakage, Is it possible that this would have done any damage to the pedals?

GibsonGM

Yes, it's possible that a pedal got damaged...I think you'd know by ear if that happened though.  You will have to go thru them with your batteries installed and see if they perform OK.   

Don't bother to try to 'fix' the faulty adapter...you are more likely to make things worse, and perhaps shock yourself dangerously (fatally?).  We'd rather you wait until your new adapter arrives!!   Use batteries until then  :) 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

amptramp

You can get some protection at the guitar itself by breaking the direct connection from the strings and bridge to ground and insert a resistor of about 220K in parallel with a capacitor (rated for line voltage divided by a derating factor).  This provides DC isolation and some AC impedance to ensure the bridge and strings stay close to AC ground.

This does not solve the power supply problem and the noise generation when you are not touching anything; only the new supply can do that.

Rob Strand

QuoteI know the problem is the adapter

If there is a fault in the device I wouldn't use it.   It can actually be dangerous.

How many mains plug pins does the adaptor have?

The other side of the coin is the adaptor isn't fault, it's just like that.  That means you need to buy
a different adaptor.

If you want to continue with the device ...
The best interim solution is to connect the ground on the amp or effects to a mains ground point.
It will divert the leakage away.  Sometimes this can be done using an alligator clip from a 6.5mm jack to the metal case of a device that has a three pin plug.

What about adding a filter to the noisy adaptor you have instead?
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Rob Strand

If it's a two pin mains plug:  You could build the little circuit in section 6.4 and test according to section 6.6:
http://www.ebme.co.uk/articles/electrical-safety/335-electrical-safety-tests

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

PRR

Please wear shoes!!

Working with electrics on concrete or dirt is extra dangerous. Concrete and dirt are not great conductors but conduct a lot better than your skin. YOU get most of the voltage leakage.

Your *amplifier* should be GROUNDED. It should have a 3-pin wall-plug into a properly wired 3-pin outlet. If you have this, and get signal through, then the guitar cord ground will divert leakage from un-grounded pedal power packs to ground rather than through you to concrete/dirt. Amplifier makers have really cleaned-up their act in recent decades: they hate shocked customers (and survivors' lawsuits). The amp should solidly ground your whole guitar chain. But can't, if you have busted-off the ground pin, used a 3/2 adaptor, or if the house wiring is incorrect.
  • SUPPORTER

seadi123

The adapter has 2 pins like most 230v adapters; i live in EU. I dont have an actual high voltage amplifier; i use a small lm386 Ruby variation. I have tried filtering the other noisy adapter with that Beavis Audio circuit but it doesnt do anything. I went to the local market today and i thought i scored this 9.6V used adapter for 2 bucks, then i came home, tested it and it measures 14v!

During the time i had the failty adapter i have built two pedals which i have only used with the failty one, so i cant tell if they are damaged because i dont know exactly how they are supposed to sound like. My basic understandin is that all passive components like resistors, caps, diodes and such should be ok. The only thing that could be damaged are transistors and op amps?

deadastronaut

you can get decent effects power supplies for around 20 quid which will

come with 6-10 way chain leads...

i use mine for testing, playing, breadboarding, never had a problem.

worth it for the peace of mind, and above all safety.

http://www.effectspedalpowersupplies.co.uk

no affiliation, other than being a customer...

you can get power supplies with 9v and 18v options too for around the same price on ebay etc...

be safe.  8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

bool

=================================
   Electric shock from power supply (and how to fix it?)
=================================

That would be a nice title to a AC/DC tribute band's mixtape!

PRR

> ...i cant tell if they are damaged

Never mind the pedals. It is YOU we are worried about.