Layout question - Escobedo Tripple Fuzz

Started by jonboper, September 25, 2017, 06:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonboper

Hey, I'm trying to build this cool-looking fuzz (as part of a multi) and am wondering about this layout: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/11/escobedo-tripple-fuzz.html

The capacitor values don't line up, or not as I understand them. The original schematic shows a 220pf, a 1uf, and (2) 100nfs. This layout shows a 220pf and (3) 100nfs? Is this correct? (I'm new to this)

reddesert

The 100 nf capacitor in the middle - connecting Q1's emitter to base of Q2 and Q3, and sandwiched between  a 1M and 10K resistor on the tagboard layout - should be a 1 uf according to the schematic.

However, this is just a coupling capacitor between two stages of the effect, that is, its primary function is to block a DC voltage offset. Replacing the 100 nf with a 1 uf might let some more bass frequencies through, but it also might have virtually no audible effect.  I think the latter is fairly likely.

rutabaga bob

I put up a perf layout in the 'overdrive/distortion/fuzz...' section of the Schematics/Layouts, if you're interested...do a search for 'tripple fuzz'.
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper