Pedal to clone to nail that Soundagrden tone?

Started by suryabeep, September 25, 2017, 08:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suryabeep

Hi everyone,
Which pedal(s) should I build to get the tone heard on Soundgarden's 4th of July?
Thanks!
Still in the process of learning, so bear with me if I ask dumb questions :P

blackieNYC

• SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

duck_arse

hey blackie - you've posted a link to an ".html" as an img. that won't work.
don't make me draw another line.

JustinFun

suryabeep

thermionix

Having not heard that song in over 20 years...there are two guitarists in the band, and probably at least four guitar tracks going at any given point in the recording, probably each track has a different tonality to help fill out the sonic spectrum.  "Nailing" the sum total with one pedal might not be a very realistic expectation.  But you might get something that makes you happy with the above suggestions.  I seem to recall Soundgarden using high gain tube amps mostly, Peavey VT types in the early days, then Mesa Boogies, and something else later on.  Pedals?  No idea except Kim uses lots of wah.

PMowdes

www.deadendfx.com
www.instagram.com/deadendfx

blackieNYC

• SUPPORTER
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

blackieNYC

Always a fair question when discussing FF clones.  Values seem different enough.  But all SG's nice gear aside, I would think a nice meaty Si fuzz would get the point across. Don't you think?
  • SUPPORTER

BetterOffShred

4th of July was doom before doom was cool! I agree with the above post that there is probably at least 4 guitar tracks with different stuff on each to make it sound so huge. 

suryabeep

I've been thinking about how to get this in one stompbox, maybe I'll share what I come up with once it's finished. Does anyone have a decent op-amp octave down schematic?
That song is just the epitome of sludge for me. It sounds like getting a sledgehammer to the gut while being suffocated in honey   :P

BetterOffShred

Quote from: suryabeep on October 23, 2017, 09:29:22 PM
I've been thinking about how to get this in one stompbox, maybe I'll share what I come up with once it's finished. Does anyone have a decent op-amp octave down schematic?
That song is just the epitome of sludge for me. It sounds like getting a sledgehammer to the gut while being suffocated in honey   :P
I can dig that.  I like your description.