DIY 4 channel Footswitch for Boss Katana 50

Started by BGaucho, October 03, 2017, 07:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGaucho

Hello all. This is my first post here. I hope I'm making myself clear since I'm not an expert in electronics.

So. I've recently bought a Boss Katana 50 guitar amp (a really good tone modeling amp) and yesterday it received an awesome software update allowing it to have 4 channels stored (instead of 2 channels like in the previous version), divided into Rank A (Ch1 and Ch2) and Rank B (Ch1 and Ch2).

The Boss FS-6 foot switch (the one with 2 buttons) in latching mode can be used to switch between banks/channels like this:

FS-6 Button B (Plug Tip): switch between Bank A and Bank B previously stored in the Boss Katana 50.
FS-6 Button A (Plug Ring): switch between Ch1 and Ch2 of the previous selected Bank.

So for example, when I step on the FS-6 Button A, I'll be changing between 2 channels of the Bank A. Then I need to step on the FS-6 Button B to be able to switch (using FS-6 button A) between Channels 1 and 2 of the Bank B.

My question is:
Is there a way to split this system into a 4 channels foot switch in order to automatically change between Bank A and Bank B as soon as I hit the Channels 1 and 2 related to each Bank?

Any schematics will be appreciated!
Thanks a lot for your time!

potul

I don't think you can do it with a fully passive aproach. With a microcontroller (or arduino-style) and 2 relays it should be easy to achieve.

BGaucho

Quote from: potul on October 03, 2017, 10:58:07 AM
I don't think you can do it with a fully passive aproach. With a microcontroller (or arduino-style) and 2 relays it should be easy to achieve.

Thank you very much, buddy!
This is a little advanced stuff for me, but I'll try some research. It is never too late to learn new things.

Cheers!

Redvers

If the switches were momentary it would probably be a lot easier. As it is you would need some kind of relay controller as previously said.

MrStab

i tackled something similar recently, where one channel had to be activated in a Marshall head before another could be activated. i had some success using D-type flip-flop IC's (4013) and their Reset pins, but only with LEDs. Unfortunately it didn't work with the amp itself, as the relays in there needed something else which i couldn't figure out at the time.

Anyways, the advantage of that approach is that you can jam channels on or flick them off when other switches are pressed. it wouldn't be too simple a job, though, and i'm just describing the control circuit - you'd still need relays, transistors or analogue switch IC's on top of all that.
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

BGaucho

Quote from: MrStab on October 07, 2017, 12:33:56 PM
i tackled something similar recently, where one channel had to be activated in a Marshall head before another could be activated. i had some success using D-type flip-flop IC's (4013) and their Reset pins, but only with LEDs. Unfortunately it didn't work with the amp itself, as the relays in there needed something else which i couldn't figure out at the time.

Anyways, the advantage of that approach is that you can jam channels on or flick them off when other switches are pressed. it wouldn't be too simple a job, though, and i'm just describing the control circuit - you'd still need relays, transistors or analogue switch IC's on top of all that.

Thanks for all the information! This is a very interesting approach. However, it's a little beyond my electrical circuitry knowledge. :P
Actually, I spoke to a colleague here in my job, who is an electrical engineer, and he told me I could make this system work with 4 switches, 4 relays and a 9V battery. He's sketching a circuit for me. Let's see what we get.

Many thanks again!
Cheers!

Rinoue

Hi BGaucho, were you able to get this working? interested in getting this for myself as well. If you could share your progress would be great!

Thanks!

bulba

Hi BGaucho, could you share your project with us please?
I need this too.

BTW i found pedal that do exactly like we wanted.
Check this link out: http://www.brightonion.co.uk/katana-preset-footswitch/

milosppf

Any ideas for Boss Katana 50 4 button footswitch?

Version 2 now supports the boss FS 6 footswitch with two buttons. Any way to make a double FS 6 and get a 4 button footswitch?