Proper layout for power distribution box?

Started by mnemosyne, October 05, 2017, 07:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnemosyne

I'm wondering about how I go about making a power ditribution box for my pedalboard.

Presently I'm using a daisy chain with one of several power adapters depending on what voltage I want to use. But it's a bit of a pain with the lengths being too short, extra plugs, etc.

I was wondering how I can make a box where I can just plug the power supply in one side, then have 5 or so jacks on the other side, so I can make custom-length power cables so everything stays neat and tidy.  This would also allow me to use some of my adapters that have unusual plugs for specific pedals, I can put an input plug of that type on the box.

Would I just get an enclosure, put some DC jacks in it, and connect together all the + tabs and all the - tabs? Would a ring of wire around the enclosure work, or should they be parallel from the input? 

I've done some searching on the forum and I've found a few results but it seems when other people do this they add in other filtering with capacitors and stuff, and that's a bit outside my understanding at the moment.  I can build a pedal kit or follow a veroboard layout fine, but I'm not yet at the point where I can design my own stuff or look at a part of a schematic and know how or why it works.

I would just buy one of the many cheap power supply's on the market that have 8 or 10 outputs on them but all the ones I have found so far are 9 volts for most of the plugs, with maybe one for 12 volts and one for 18 volts. 

Most of my pedals I've built myself so I have higher rated capacitors (35v or higher) so I can run higher voltage. I've found I prefer higher voltage (for overdrives and boosts at least) as it keeps everything clearer and cleaner when playing. I play a downtuned 7 string (A standard) with high output pickups so it can be a problem keeping things clean when I pick hard, when run at 9 volts.  Usually I go for 18 volts and I have one boost pedal that sounds a bit better/cleaner at 30 volts.

Thanks for any help guys, this seems like something that should be pretty easy to make, I just want to make sure I do it right so as not to fry any pedals.

PRR

If you just want 9V, yes, simple, wire them all together.

If you want 9V and 12V and 18V and 30V... then you need more thought. You could regulate one 30V raw supply down to the lower voltages, but dropping 21V at any large current is wasteful and hot.
  • SUPPORTER

mnemosyne

Quote from: PRR on October 06, 2017, 01:41:06 PM
If you just want 9V, yes, simple, wire them all together.

If you want 9V and 12V and 18V and 30V... then you need more thought. You could regulate one 30V raw supply down to the lower voltages, but dropping 21V at any large current is wasteful and hot.

Cool, I've done a bit more reading and it seems just wiring it all parallel is correct.

At the moment I'm not worrying too much about regulating down to other voltages, I'll just use more than one box and a separate adapter if I want multiple voltages. Basically right now I just want a glorified daisy chain in a box.

Later on when I get a better grasp on what I'm doing, I may try making one with additional filtering, maybe one other voltage, etc.