Building a Ge SkyRipper

Started by BetterOffShred, October 05, 2017, 10:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BetterOffShred

Well the box and everything else came last night, so I'll be hopefully taking a trip to soldering town tonight and see if I can get some sound out of it.  I am trying to use the "XX" size boxed, so I may go 4 and 3 across the top for knobs and then the toggles next to the 3 on either side.   I think I'm definitely going to implement the range input cap selector as Dino added to his unit, though I may only have a 1P6T rotary, but 2 extra wouldn't hurt.  So I'd just replace "C3" to the right of Q2 with a jumper and stick my rotary between the rangemaster bypass lug and the 3rd row up connection ?  That's what it looks like to me :) 

So looking at the schematic and layout, if I use the voltage inverter, I'll just hook the "Ground" off the inverter board to Bias pot 1 and 2, and then the -9VDC leg to the top left corner of the board where it says "-9VDC"  ;) ?  Then my indicator LED's will have a total of 9V potential from -9V to 0V?

It's obvious I don't understand voltage  ::)
Thanks for looking guys

PRR

> Does it produce a reasonable sized image or just a thumbnail you need to click on to get to something you can see detail in?

Try it on my message.

That's the default action. If you care (and the image is not so big it blows-out the forum formatting), in Preview you can click-through to the actual image, get the URL, and put it in IMG tags, delete the thumbnail code.

I noted this offer from PostIMG some months back and Aron implemented it.
  • SUPPORTER

davent

Thank you Paul, i now see you can size the image that you're attaching so that's a major help to me!
Thanks!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

BetterOffShred

Measured out a couple of AC128's that seem to fit the bill.  One is 100 hFE and the other is 159.   Should be right in the spot.  I don't trust the leakage on my current tester, so I'm not 100% sure there, but I'll just try them out and go from there.   I only had a few minutes last night so I soldered the jumpers on the board and got all my parts out, so It should just take a few minutes tonight to get the board soldered up and start stringing wires.    :icon_mrgreen:

BetterOffShred

BetterOffShred

Also figured I'd assemble it in the box.. that way I can try to keep the wires clean.  Haha :)

BetterOffShred

Mocked everything up, now to finish it up.. I just don't have the time during the week haha.  I went looking for a set of 8 string strings.. 3 places.. nobody had them. Waste of time

BetterOffShred

davent

If you can make an assembly jig, simply a thin piece of cardboard/plywood drilled to match your enclosure layout, mount all your externals to it, you'll make the wiring up much easier and neater. You have much greater access to all the solder connections when you don't have the enclosure sides in the way.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

BetterOffShred

I've seen that!! I will do that.  Thanks for the tip :)

davent

This was done years ago and i used a chunk of wood, an early attempt with a jig.

And first attempt using the "Add image to post" button. OK you have click on image for the bigger picture.

edit; More playing with Postimage... thanks Paul!

dave

BetterOffShred

That's so cool Dave,  thanks for sharing that. It looks really good,  I'm hoping my pedal looks halfway as good hah :)

PRR

> OK you have click on image for the bigger picture.

For people who post 3,000 pixel images of a one-transistor sketch, thumbnail and new tab is safest.

You did size your images appropriately for in-line viewing.

• SUPPORTER

davent

Quote from: PRR on October 14, 2017, 12:42:52 PM
> OK you have click on image for the bigger picture.

For people who post 3,000 pixel images of a one-transistor sketch, thumbnail and new tab is safest.

You did size your images appropriately for in-line viewing.

My monitor will show a 600 pixel high image full screen on forums so if i need to resize for a forum i'll set the size based on that. I really hate to scroll to view an image.

For anyone that hasn't tried the Postimage button, it gives you a bunch of sizing options for uploading, i have an avatar again size, up to giant, uncompressed images, very handy! I've been resizing with Irfanview before uploading.

dave

BetterOffShred

Well it works. Sort of.  I have nice smooth fuzz and it gets pretty beefy with the pre all the way up.  The buffer works but you have to have it basically turned all the way up (buffer pot) and then the rangemaster part doesn't work and kills all volume when engaged.  So I have some troubleshooting to do, and biasing the transistors too.  I built the 7660 voltage inverter and had to clip the grounding kind of like I thought I would.  I got some good 7660's from Mouser so it's super quiet.. I may try the noisy ones to see how they behave in a voltage inversion circuit rather than the voltage pump. Anyway it's not pretty, but I managed to keep it kind of clean.. for me  ;D

BetterOffShred

I built the Geofx germanium transistor tester. It works great. Had to use 3 resistors in series to get 2473R... one ohm over but hey, pretty close!

BetterOffShred

If you're really observant you'll notice that I missed the 5n capacitor between Q4 and Q3.. but it's part of the fuzz circuit.. still working on the rangemaster.   

For someone who has one of these... what is the purpose of the buffer and how is it used?  Does it sound like mine is operating correctly? 

BetterOffShred

Ok so I had a 500k pot in range somehow instead of a 25k .. so everything seems to work now.  Going to put it all back In the box and see if I can get it to behave as expected :)

duck_arse

you may well need "something" to hold/support/locate those K-case germs. if they are hanging upside down in sockets, their unsupported extra mass will like to jump out every footswitch stomp.
don't make me draw another line.

BetterOffShred

Haha!  Yes thank you. I was going to shorten the leads and solder then in once I audition a few more.  Those are 89 hFE in the rangemaster circuit and 144 hFE in the fuzz side.  They sound good but I'm not sure if they are too leaky. I have some other ones on order but they haven't arrived yet.