One Spot PSU broken pin - Dangerous?

Started by patrick398, October 05, 2017, 02:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patrick398

Hey all, the top pin on my one spot PSU (UK three pin) snapped off the other day and i can't remember if it was plastic or metal. Looking around and specs and pictures i can't confirm either way so was just wondering if any of you know off the top of your head whether i am ok to continue using or if i should buy another one. I have been following the other thread about electric shock problems and thought its better to be safe than sorry
Thanks

nocentelli

I imagine it was plastic if it just snapped off (can't you see the remnants of the stump?). However, all modern UK power sockets have a spring mechanism inside that only allows the neutral and live pins to slide into their respective holes after the earth pin has been inserted (which is why it is longer than the other two pins) so you would be unable to physically insert the plug even if it was "safe" to do so.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

patrick398

Hey, thanks for the reply. Yeah this is what i thought initially. I've just been using various things to open the spring so i can shove the plug in there but i don't particularly like jamming things into plug sockets as a rule. I guess it'll be fine until it isn't... :icon_eek:

EBK

"He died as he lived, defeating safety mechanisms in order to shove things into electrical outlets."
:icon_razz:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

thomasha

It's a good opportunity to change the plastic enclosure.

I guess it would fit in a 1590a if you squeeze it. Or use a regular 1590b
Then you can add a 3 prong cable, as I did to mine. It will look like just another pedal on the pedalboard.

Ice-9

Yes they are plastic and hollow which is why they can snap quite easily, this happened to me a few years back. I got a replacement, took it to bits and filled the hollow pin with epoxy resin and transplanted the old broken one directly into a pedalboard. Best of both worlds.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

patrick398

Quote from: thomasha on October 05, 2017, 05:17:19 PM
It's a good opportunity to change the plastic enclosure.

I guess it would fit in a 1590a if you squeeze it. Or use a regular 1590b
Then you can add a 3 prong cable, as I did to mine. It will look like just another pedal on the pedalboard.

Good thinking batman. I might try this out
Cheers

PRR

Contact OneSpot at their US office. I bet they would like to know their UK version can be broken. While this appears to be a dummy pin to work the shutter, poking outlets to fool the safety can be VERY DANGEROUS. I suspect they would rather send you a plug (or whole wart) than see their product in your death notice. (And reconsider the design of that dummy pin.)
  • SUPPORTER