DIY disaster : No sound

Started by Yata, August 20, 2017, 01:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yata

Sorry to repost again but just wondering if anybody had any more thoughts on this?
It has came to a complete standstill but at the very least I've managed to build a few more pedals while I've been waiting (arcadiator 8bit fuzz that sounds amazing).
I'll keep the PCB and components but doest anybody reckon there is a hope in hell of me getting this finished or should I just relegate it to the cupboard.

EBK

The fact that you've built other pedals that work means there is hope.

I think your problem is around R17.
If no current is flowing through that resistor, we'd expect the collector of Q3 to be about 9V.  You are measuring 0V, which suggests R17 is disconnected from the positive supply and/or Q3.  Measure the voltage on each side of R17.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Yata

Quote from: EBK on October 13, 2017, 09:29:48 AM

yeah, it's both reassuring and frustrating at the same time.
The first pedal I built was a reverb pedal that seemed to go without a hitch even though the soldering was awfull. After the mess up with this foxtone I built the arcadiator which seemed more complicated and sounded amazing and the fuzz face and klon buffer I built all both seem to work. I feel like this foxxtone PCB is cursed somehow, this is my second set of PCB's for this pedal and I still can't get it to work lol.

EBK

Just to clarify, while Gord was suggesting a short, I'm suggesting you have a break instead.  I do not suspect a bad component, but rather a bad joint or a broken trace.

Another possibility would be that some of the holes are not plated through the board, and solder could be connecting R17 to the bottom of the board but not the top.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

GGBB

Quote from: EBK on October 13, 2017, 09:29:48 AM

I think your problem is around R17.
If no current is flowing through that resistor, we'd expect the collector of Q3 to be about 9V.  You are measuring 0V, which suggests R17 is disconnected from the positive supply and/or Q3.  Measure the voltage on each side of R17.

Good idea.
  • SUPPORTER