Just messaged with a rock star. How cool.

Started by bloxstompboxes, October 13, 2017, 12:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloxstompboxes

Hmmm. I just finished messaging back and forth with a famous guitar player / singer of a present day southern hard rock band about fixing a pedal and maybe building others. This could be cool. Can't say who yet. Dont want to jinx it. Might need to stay private or whatever. I'll update this later of course if I can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

Digital Larry

I fixed a distortion pedal of a local surf guitarist who some people have heard of.  He invited me to his studio a couple times after I pestered him after a series of local shows over the course of a year and sent him some sound samples via e-mail.  Seeing if I can come up with something for his pedalboard, though I can tell my motivation in this scene is much higher than his.   ;) Wish I could work faster!!  Good luck, it's fun to have your efforts validated by a "real" musician.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

merlinb

I once modified some gear for the home studio of Corinne Bailey Rae and I'm embarassed to say I didn't twig who she was until I went home and listened to her music!

wavley

I once fixed Rick Derringer's Mesa Boogie, turns out a fet that was there to mute things during channel switching permanently muted the amp.  We also fixed Gloria Estefan's FOH console, then the guys turned out of the parking lot, made a uturn and came back in... when they turned out of the parking lot a circular saw fell off a shelf and sheared over half the pots on the console, the pots that had all just been cleaned and solders touched up on, it took the tech like two solid 40 hour weeks to take it all apart and fix!

There's actually been a few over the years, my favorite regulars these days at my current shop are Deakin from Animal Collective and Steve West from Silver Jews/Pavement, both really nice guys!  I have a recording project coming up that I can't say who is in the band yet, but it's going to get me an entry in Encyclopaedia Metallum :)
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

bloxstompboxes

That's all cool. I hope this works out well. It will have to be part time since I already have a day job I just can't give up. I couldn't spend 40hr weeks on anything. But if he wants 5 copies of something built or just something else fixed and not by Monday of next week, I'm game.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

Groovenut

Quote from: wavley on October 13, 2017, 11:26:57 AM
I once fixed Rick Derringer's Mesa Boogie, turns out a fet that was there to mute things during channel switching permanently muted the amp.  We also fixed Gloria Estefan's FOH console, then the guys turned out of the parking lot, made a uturn and came back in... when they turned out of the parking lot a circular saw fell off a shelf and sheared over half the pots on the console, the pots that had all just been cleaned and solders touched up on, it took the tech like two solid 40 hour weeks to take it all apart and fix!

There's actually been a few over the years, my favorite regulars these days at my current shop are Deakin from Animal Collective and Steve West from Silver Jews/Pavement, both really nice guys!  I have a recording project coming up that I can't say who is in the band yet, but it's going to get me an entry in Encyclopaedia Metallum :)
Nice! Congrats!! I actually have one of those from my long haired progressive metal years
https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Lawrence_Petross/323631#artist_tab_active

I've done some work for The Meat Puppets (locals here), Carvin Jones (another local, blues cat), George Lynch (when he lived here) and The Refreshments/Roger Cline and the Peacemakers. Oh and Andy Timmons has a Sixty 8 Drive mini I made for him upon request a few years ago.

It can be fun doing work for guys you've had in your music collection. It's nice to find out they are just humans like the rest of use (warts and all).

@bloxstompboxes - congrats! keep us posted on how things progress
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

deadastronaut

I built a faze filter for the guitarist in GWAR... 8)

I was quite chuffed..  :icon_mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

pinkjimiphoton

i built up the suzy q overdrive for dick wagner, along with a fender lunchbox -into-amp and a couple dirt boxes.
sent steve hunter one of the phat lardacious monkey balls pedals too.

well done erik ;) look forward to learning more ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

bloxstompboxes

Lol. I almost forgot about gwar. I used to love watching their videos.

italianguy63

I handed Zakk Wylde one of my fuzzes... It probably went into the garbage.  :)

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

bloxstompboxes

I wouldn't think so, guy. I've heard  he's a pretty cool guy.

EBK

Quote from: italianguy63 on October 14, 2017, 07:06:16 PM

MC
Sounds like Billy Corgan and the true story behind the Creamy Dreamer.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Keppy

Quote from: deadastronaut on October 14, 2017, 04:34:01 AM
What was his name? I've known members of that band, but I think they've had quite a few members over the years.

Same, except it was Bill Frisell and a transparent overdrive. :)
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

italianguy63

Quote from: bloxstompboxes on October 14, 2017, 07:09:58 PM
I wouldn't think so, guy. I've heard  he's a pretty cool guy.

Can't say for sure.. he can be dickish for sure.  And, he is hard to get to.  But, the little time I spent with him he was entirely cool and gracious.  I also have friends that have spent extended time with that entourage of musicians-- and have nothing but cool stories.  I love the guy.

PS-- Cancer took about 75 pounds off that guy he is with.  ;)

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

Aph

My band opened for Black Oak Arkansas... they were totally washed up at the time and I think only Jim Dandy was original.

:P I know... I suck. I just want to up my posts  ;)

wavley

Quote from: Keppy on October 14, 2017, 07:14:24 PM
What was his name? I've known members of that band, but I think they've had quite a few members over the years.

I think that nearly everybody from Richmond has been in Gwar at some point or another, My old band when I was like 20 or 21 opened for Rawg once, it was them without costumes (there were a bunch of names for projects like that apparently) Some really great bands have Gwar ties: Kepone, Holy Rollers, Mao Tse Helen...  I went to Gwar B Q a few years ago to, mostly because of a Kepone reunion, but I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

italianguy63

Quote from: wavley on October 23, 2017, 09:41:37 AM

I think that nearly everybody from Richmond has been in Gwar at some point or another, My old band when I was like 20 or 21 opened for Rawg once, it was them without costumes (there were a bunch of names for projects like that apparently) Some really great bands have Gwar ties: Kepone, Holy Rollers, Mao Tse Helen...  I went to Gwar B Q a few years ago to, mostly because of a Kepone reunion, but I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.

I had heard some of the members were from the Tampa area.. since you are from there, do you know anything about that?

MC

wavley

Quote from: italianguy63 on October 23, 2017, 09:51:47 AM
Quote from: wavley on October 23, 2017, 09:41:37 AM

I had heard some of the members were from the Tampa area.. since you are from there, do you know anything about that?

MC

I lived in Tidewater until I was 21, then Tampa for a dozen, then back to VA.  There's pockets of years missing in there, when I worked at the record store we used to tell folks that my folks traded me to the Ramones for a lid and I have some time I don't remember that I was the drummer Wavley Ramone (I also don't remember how to play drums), one of the other guys had a similar story in which he was Scrawny Van Zant.  You may have filled in some lost time for me, now I'm going to go get hypnotized to see if I can dredge up some repressed memories.

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com