Taken BOSS pedal off pedalboard - do I need a buffer now?

Started by ponce, October 16, 2017, 06:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ponce

I want to put my newly built BOSS CE-2 instead of the CE-5 on my pretty large board with a lot of diy pedals with this kind of switching:

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.hr/2012/02/offboard-wiring.html

I think the only pedal which has a buffer now is the Digitech EX-7 and it's located somewhere in the last third of the pedal chain. Do I need an additional buffer now and what would be the best placement for it? This is the pedal order:

Scarab Deluxe Fuzz (DIY) -> PolyTune Mini ("True Bypass") -> DynaComp (DIY) -> Dunlop GCB-95 Wah (original) -> Demeter Fat Control (DIY) -> Catalinbread Naga Viper (DIY) -> Catalinbread RAH (DIY) -> Xotic EP Bosster(DIY) ->MuTron Micro V (DIY) ->BOSS CE-2 (DIY) -> DOD Phasor 201 (original) -> Digitech EX-7 (original) ->Volume pedal (DIY) -> Deep blue delay (DIY) -> Belton based reverb (DIY) -> Tremulus Lune (DIY)

bartimaeus

Do you hear a loss in treble frequencies compared to when you had the CE5? If you don't hear a difference, you don't need a buffer. If you hear a difference, build a simple one and stick it at the front of your chain.

With that many true bypass pedals, most people would recommend a buffer at the start of your chain, but you only need one if there's an audible issue.

Danich_ivanov

It depends really. If you find you'r sound too bright with a buffer, then you probably will be better of without it, if it gets too dark, then buffer can definetly help with that, but it is not a necessity. I know that some rockstars from the old days used long cables, just to get rid of peaky highs.

Redvers

Get the new polytune with the switchable buffer. It makes a huge difference with my board.

GGBB

As already mentioned, you only really need a buffer if you are experiencing tone loss that you don't want. That can come from long cable runs or pedals that don't play well with either the input to it or what it's driving. A buffer anywhere will usually take care of cable run issues, so your EX-7 should be enough. Input/output issues are usually pedal-specific so might need a buffer directly before or after or between depending on the situation. A buffer at the start sometimes solves that, but not always.
  • SUPPORTER

ponce

Thanks guys, I'll give it a good listen then before I start soldering again. ;)

Ambugaton

I don't nearly have that many pedals but with 15' on either end plus the 3' or 4' on the board I've considered placing a buffer at the start. I might do some a/b recordings into logic to see what difference it makes. I have read about the intentional long cables (Warren Haynes) but I've also read that sometimes it can improve more than just the highs... Whether or not that's true... Only one way to find out.