Stomp box wiring

Started by bettsaj, October 20, 2017, 06:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bettsaj

This is probably a simple question, with a simple answer... but i'm looking at trying to find the best pedal wiring.

Up to now I've used this wiring scheme which is good... http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FJTNouYc3pg/Ufsgj-xlT3I/AAAAAAAAD9g/uF6CorCOqJo/s1600/alternative-stompbox-wiring-grounded-input-01.jpg

however, although this wiring does disconnect the battery when the input jack is removed the LED still can be turned on and off even with no jack plug in the input socket.

i want a wiring scheme whereby when i remove the input jack not only does it disconnect the battery, but it also disconnects the LED so there's no chance that the battery could accidentally get drained by leaving the pedal switched on.

"My technique is laughable at times. I have developed a style of my own, I suppose, which creeps around. I'll never be a very fast guitar player."

Aph

Are you leaving an adaptor plugged in? Otherwise, I don't see any path to ground for the battery if the input plug is disconnected.

bettsaj

Quote from: Aph on October 20, 2017, 06:49:31 PM
Are you leaving an adaptor plugged in? Otherwise, I don't see any path to ground for the battery if the input plug is disconnected.
No.... I'm talking about when using a battery... With an adaptor it doesn't matter because the dc adaptor would disconnect the battery... This is purely when using a battery

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

"My technique is laughable at times. I have developed a style of my own, I suppose, which creeps around. I'll never be a very fast guitar player."

Tony Forestiere

Quadruple check your footswitch wiring. Picture.

*edit* ...and input jack RS connections.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

GGBB

Quote from: bettsaj on October 20, 2017, 06:41:55 PM
however, although this wiring does disconnect the battery when the input jack is removed the LED still can be turned on and off even with no jack plug in the input socket.

If you've interpreted and built that diagram correctly, you would not be having that problem. Which means there's more to the story than we know right now. As Tony has already suggested, the best thing to do would be to post pictures where we can clearly see all the wiring and easily figure out both ends of each wire.
  • SUPPORTER

bettsaj

I think my issue is grounding.... For sure, I've always struggled to ground these things the best and most economical way. Like the jack plug sockets..... Do I have to ground those or will they just ground to the  enclosure? Anyway, here are the photos.. Red wires are 9v, purple are ground, and the blue and yellow wires are signal

aelling

Dunno if it's what is causing it but you seem to be missing a wire between input ring and dc tip.

GGBB

The first difference I see between the wiring diagram and what you've done is that you connected the DC jack ground lug to actual ground via the output jack sleeve, and the battery negative only to the input jack ring (assuming the black thing at the bottom of the 4th photo is the battery clip). So even with no plug in the input jack your circuit is still fully powered by the DC jack which allows the LED to light up.

You didn't specify if this is also a problem with a battery connected and no adapter plugged in. If not, then this isn't a big deal and some people deliberately wire their pedals this way. If you want to fix that, connect the DC jack ground lug to the input jack ring with battery negative instead of to the output jack sleeve (output jack sleeve doesn't need connecting to anything since you are using a metal enclosure.
  • SUPPORTER

Aph

It looks like the negative of the battery is connected directly to the input ring, so without a jack inserted it can't be grounded... unless the input jack has a short... or the ring connector is touching ground somewhere (can't tell by the angle of the pix). The bottom cover hitting the ring lug? I don't know.

Myampgoesto12

Aph nailed it, I've had this problem before. Double check the jack for a short between ring and sleeve without the plug inserted. If the ring and sleeve read open perhaps it could be the plate. I've also had dirt/grime and enclosure drill shavings make their way into jacks and short them. Good luck!

bettsaj

Sorted... I checked for continuity between the ring and the ground on the input without a jack plugged in.... my meter beeped.

Changed the jack socket and all's well

Thanks guys

Aph