Passive volume pedal controlled by cv?

Started by durwin, October 26, 2017, 06:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

durwin

So I'd like to build a volume pedal in a small enclosure to be controlled by a Moog MP-201 - seems counter intuitive I know but it means I can get LFO's in to it etc.

The catch is, I need it to be a passive system so that it doesn't screw with my fuzz impedances...

Any thoughts?  :icon_question:

Mark Hammer

Simplest thing is to use a CV to drive an optoisolator.  The CV lights up an LED which makes the input leg or ground leg of a virtual voltage divider drop its resistance.  That's often how many compressors work, like this one: http://dt.prohosting.com/hacks/what1.gif

PRR

Welcome.

Any volume control screws with impedances.
  • SUPPORTER

ElectricDruid

What Mark said. Something optoisolator/vactrol-based is as close to passive as you'll get and still have CV control.

Otherwise, you'd be looking at some active way to control volume with a CV - a VCA of some type, perhaps a 13700 OTA, or something discrete, like the Minimoog design (which would be appropriate, at least for your application!)

T.

wavley

What Mark and Paul said.

Take a look at the Moog MF Boost, it has CV control for the Gain knob, I use an old DOD FX17 because it has a CV out with mine.  For all intents and purposes it's a volume pedal for me because it's always on (I like the tone control), you can set the minimum with the gain knob and sweep up to maximum.  I keep my stuff that want to see a pickup before that or I use the Jack Orman pickup simulator circuit and then they don't care about buffers or wah pedals and play nice with everything.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com