Flangers: MN3007 - CD4047

Started by chance.lima, October 29, 2017, 10:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chance.lima

Hey guys. I have been looking over some schematics for flangers for the purpose of creating some vero layouts for everyone. I have one or 2 that are missing some details and I'd like some clarification on a few issues.

I see where you have a BBD like MN3007 Pin 2 (CP1) and Pin 6 (CP2) connected to a CD4047 chip's pins 10 and 11. Different schematics have the say MN3007 pin 2 to CD4047 pin 10 and MN3007 pin 6 to CD4047 pin 11 and then another schematic will have the pins swapped like MN3007 pin 2 to CD4047 pin 11 and MN3007 pin 6 to CD4047 pin 10. Does it matter which configuration is used or is there a specific purpose for this? My knowledge in these matters is limited but I'd like to know the answer as I try and fill in the gaps in these old schematics and build some layouts.

Cheers

StephenGiles

It probably doesn't make any difference (runs for cover!!!). Isn't it that the BBD requires 2 complimentary clock signals, that is to say they are out of phase with one another?
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Mark Hammer

It's just tick and tock coming from 10 and 11, going to 2 or 6.

ElectricDruid

As the others have said, it makes no difference at all. The 4047 outputs are complementary (Q and ~Q) and the 3007 requires a dual phase clock, with one clock high when the other one is low and vice versa. This requirement is why the 4047 is a good choice - it has those outputs already.

Incidentally, sometimes you see a 4013 flip-flop used after some other clock circuit - again, this is chosen because it has both the normal and inverted outputs. You might come across that if you're looking at flanger designs.

HTH,
Tom

chance.lima

Excellent thanks for the feedback team, now I can move forward on these layouts!