FS3X Accidentally bough Switched Stereo Jack

Started by rainless, October 30, 2017, 07:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anotherjim

Normal On and Normal Off are commonly used switching terms. Better, and more common terms for the contacts are "Normally Open" and "Normally Closed" since they can be abbreviated to NO and NC without confusion. They are only relevant when the switching mechanism always has to be operated to change state and will return to original state when the switching action is removed. It's pretty much irrelevant in latching push on/push off switches, but such items may still have NO and NC markings on them if the same mechanical parts are used as a non-latching  device.

So a relay has to have it's coil energised to change state (this includes latching relays since they still have to be energised). A push button (Momentary) has to be pushed. Both examples may have contacts that are closed until operated and they are the NC contacts. Where both NC and NO contacts are available, there will be a Common contact connection often referred to as "Com" also known in some quarters as the "Arm". Often the Com termination is in between NO and NC and can be inferred without any label.

rainless

Quote from: anotherjim on November 01, 2017, 02:56:34 PM
Normal On and Normal Off are commonly used switching terms. Better, and more common terms for the contacts are "Normally Open" and "Normally Closed" since they can be abbreviated to NO and NC without confusion. They are only relevant when the switching mechanism always has to be operated to change state and will return to original state when the switching action is removed. It's pretty much irrelevant in latching push on/push off switches, but such items may still have NO and NC markings on them if the same mechanical parts are used as a non-latching  device.

So a relay has to have it's coil energised to change state (this includes latching relays since they still have to be energised). A push button (Momentary) has to be pushed. Both examples may have contacts that are closed until operated and they are the NC contacts. Where both NC and NO contacts are available, there will be a Common contact connection often referred to as "Com" also known in some quarters as the "Arm". Often the Com termination is in between NO and NC and can be inferred without any label.

All this becomes important when you find yourself in a country with a different language.

When I was looking for buttons for my footswitch I made it a point to look for ones that were "normally off"... because that's how they're labled here in Europe. Normally Off or Normally On. (The first time I heard NO and NC was when he mentioned it). So when I went to the electronic's store I ordered aus(ein) buttons (off then on). Because otherwise he would've given me "ein" switches (on).

Banzai Music is the only site that I've seen in Germany that refers to them as NO and NC. But just so I'm clear: Normally Open is the same as "normally off?" or is it the opposite?

GGBB

I find that confusing as well. In my head, all a switch does is make or break a connection. A connection isn't on or off, it's open or closed. On and off are descriptions of what the switch might be doing, not actually descriptions of the mechanical state of the switch. Switching _circuits_ can be turned on or off, such as for controlling power, sound, or what have you, and are typically controlled by a switch of some sort or are nothing more than a latching switch, but a momentary switch could also be used to control a switching circuit whereby the circuit state does not correspond directly to the switch state. For example, when a BOSS pedal is engaged/on, is its momentary switch also on? No, it's open which means off, as it is when the pedal is bypassed/off. So open (not connected) and closed (connected) is a lot less confusing than on or off as far as the switch itself is concerned. However, the fact that I'd never heard normally off or on before either says something about how commonly used those terms are regarding switches themselves or shows that I need to get out more often. Or maybe both.

But I digress. I think the answer you want is:

connected = closed = on
not connected = open = off
  • SUPPORTER

rainless

Quote from: GGBB on October 30, 2017, 08:02:52 PM
Welcome. Do you have a multimeter? If you do, use it to check which lug connects to tip, sleeve, and ground. That jack can work fine. Post some clear pics of your work and we can try to help figure out what you did wrong.

Hey man... Just real quick, can you explain how I would use a multimeter to do this?  I'm pretty big on building electronic shit... but I've always gotten by without a multimeter. But now that I have one... :)

GGBB

Set the meter on continuity or the lowest range resistance. Put one probe on the tip connector, then touch the other probe to each lug until the meter indicates continuity or zero resistance. Repeat for ring and sleeve.
  • SUPPORTER

rainless

Quote from: GGBB on November 04, 2017, 08:30:10 AM
Set the meter on continuity or the lowest range resistance. Put one probe on the tip connector, then touch the other probe to each lug until the meter indicates continuity or zero resistance. Repeat for ring and sleeve.

Yup! Definitely works... And it also explains how the "switch" lug works. Now I can actually imagine how that thing might be useful: You solder a button onto it that only works when the switch has no continuity.

Now at LONG LAST the whole idea of a Switched Stereo Jack makes sense to me!

Thanks. :)