Vintage Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress Issues

Started by jshakesepeare, November 02, 2017, 07:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jshakesepeare

Trying to get this awesome pedal up and running.
Guy I bought it from has changed some of the wiring, and I couldn't quite tell from photos online where the issue is.

Here's what I have currently, there's no effect at the moment:

Thanks in advance!

Scruffie

Looks like you have both DC jack wires going to the ground lug to me.

Have you tested voltage is getting to the circuit?

jshakesepeare

There's only 1 wire coming off the DC jack. The other is the 18 V from the battery.
I do have 18 V coming from the DC jack to the board on that black wire...I'm not sure if that is supposed to be like that or not, I do suspect that I'm having a power issue.
I don't have an 18 V supply so am just trying to get the batteries working.

I've looked at other photos and it seems pretty close to working pedals, I'm thinking it just 1 lug off or something like that.

Scruffie

The rest look okay to me... but I can't claim to be able to see everything, i'd check the opamp voltages though, you wont get any signal if there's a problem there as the bypass signal comes from the input buffer IIRC.

Edit: Wait, where's your circuit ground?

jshakesepeare

Yeah...I'm not sure where the ground and where the 18V from the battery is supposed to connect to...

jshakesepeare

Does anyone have any ideas where to land 0 and 18V wires, or any pictures I can compare to?

Scruffie

The battery negative should go to the input jack ring and then the ground/sleeve from the input jack should go to the colour pots lug 1.

cortezthekiller

Also, it looks like you will require a stereo jack for the input to properly switch the battery on when plugging in, and to disconnect it when unplugged.

jshakesepeare

Currently when I insert either a mono or a stereo cable into the Input jack no lugs short together.
Do I need to change the jack to one that shorts 2 together to get this battery portion working so that they don't drain when pedal is not being used?
Sorry I'm a bit of a noob but am learning quickly!

Scruffie

Yup, you just need a stereo jack.

For the moment though, you can still ground the circuit to that jack where I said to test that it then works, but it will drain the batteries when not in use.

I think from the pictures you might need to rewire your DC jack too... but again, it should work as is for now.

rainless

Quote from: jshakesepeare on November 04, 2017, 05:40:58 PM
Currently when I insert either a mono or a stereo cable into the Input jack no lugs short together.
Do I need to change the jack to one that shorts 2 together to get this battery portion working so that they don't drain when pedal is not being used?
Sorry I'm a bit of a noob but am learning quickly!

Currently it doesn't matter if you insert a mono or a stereo cable because you only have a mono jack. So any cable you stick in there is only going to act as a mono and you're not going to have the connection you need. You need a stereo jack as the others have said.

jshakesepeare

Thanks for the info. Will test the circuit in a bit. Last noob question....My input jack has 3 prongs and my output has 2. Doesn't the 3 prong mean it is a Stereo jack?

cortezthekiller

No. The input jack in your pedal is a switched mono jack.