HELP - 3080 IC Problems With Compressor

Started by Svebster, November 03, 2017, 09:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Svebster

Hi,

So I have a problem that I never even thought could be a problem. I've built 2 Ross compressor pedals using FuzzDog PCBs. The pedal, as common for a compressor, uses 1 CA3080 chip. I also have an analogman compressor thats based on the same circuit which also uses a 3080 chip. When I tested the 2 pedals one didn't work and I found out that the IC was the reason because I swapped out the ICs and both pedals worked, so one of the 3080s was faulty. At least thats what I thought. So I had 2 working ICs in total, one from one of the builds that worked and I even took out the one from the analogman pedal. I tried both IC's in all 3 pedals so I ordered some new 3080s as I was still missing one. I just received the ICs and none of them work... The sound out of the compressor is gated and distorted - No sound until I dig in more, but the sound is distorted then.

Is there a difference in 3080 ICs?? I've never seen anyone specify the chip. Are the batch numbers important?? Does anyone know a solution for this / had the same problem?? Does anyone know the circuit and knows if there are any components that bias the chip or so?? I have no Idea what to do as the circuit and everything is fine as it works with some of the IC's.

All the IC's are intersil including the one out of the analogman pedal. Just the numbers below the CA3080E description differ. I took a photo of one below:

duck_arse

svebster - you've linked an "html" page as an image. you need to get the image address from imgur, paste that instead. it should look quite like this (no s in http, just to be sure) ....
http://i.imgur.com/roaHLp7.jpg

as to your 3080's, buying them "from the interwebs" seems a worse and worse idea, from the number of people having problems with them. from one of the big parts houses, or one of the pedal parts suppliers, you should be safe.

and we want your voltages, same for any debug. the IC pin voltages and the transistor pins, please. there is a debug thread sticky somewhere .....
don't make me draw another line.

Svebster

Ok, I measured the pins on the IC. My multimeter is not super accurate but here they are:

1 1v
2 1.2v
3 1.2v
4 9v
5 8v
6 7v
7 0v
8 0.8v

I ordered 2 chips from ebay that don't work and one from Banzai music which also doesn't work (which was a lot more expensive).

R.G.

Quote from: Svebster on November 03, 2017, 12:25:23 PM
Ok, I measured the pins on the IC. My multimeter is not super accurate but here they are:

1 1v
2 1.2v
3 1.2v
4 9v
5 8v
6 7v
7 0v
8 0.8v
I sincerely hope that your pin numbering is incorrect. If it's not, there's a good chance that the IC is dead.
Looking up "3080 IC", the first few results I get are datasheets. Pins 1 and 8 are not connected on this variant of the chip. Pin 4 is the most negative power supply voltage, pin 7 is the most positive powe5r supply voltage, and pin 5 is the amplifier bias pin.   If your numbering is correct, pin 4 is 9V more positive than pin 7, and all of the internal connections on the IC are probably fused.  Once you get the power supply right, pin 5 should never be higher than about 0.5-0.6V compared to pin 4. If it's higher than pin 4 by more than that, the chip is probably dead.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Svebster

Thanks for your answer, my pinout is correct. I just put in the working analogman IC and measured again:

1 0v
2 0.9v
3 0.9v
4 9v
5 8v
6 2.8v
7 0v
8 0v

Very different!

The chip is also made by intersil and looks exactly the same, only the number beneath the CA3080E description is different.

So does that mean most ca3080 chips you can buy are broken? Because thats the case for me then. Ibought them from 2 different shops and they were all faulty apart from 1. 1/4 was working?????

Does anyone know a source for 3080 chips in the UK that delivers working chips?

Thnaks

Ice-9

Not trying to sound cheeky, but are you sure you are numbering he IC pins in the correct order. ie pin 1,2,3,4 quite obvious pin 5 is then directly opposite pin 4 and pin 8 is opposite pin 1. I have seen many people count pins 5 to 8 in the wrong direction.

The 3080 is also widely sold on the internet with out of spec parts and the likelihood of getting good ones is getting to be a gamble.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

anotherjim

If you are reading the IC pins correct, then maybe you have the 9v power supply polarity reversed? That pcb has no reverse polarity protection, in fact +9v and 0v wires go right to the CA3080 supply pins - so nothing to protect it from being toasted. Yes, IC's can be fried without letting any magic smoke out.

...so, for the chips sake, I hope you are reading the pin out wrong.
Note, that it very wise to check power supply voltages on the chips at their socket pins BEFORE fitting the chip. That's one main reason for fitting sockets in the first place.

bluebunny

Quote from: anotherjim on November 03, 2017, 02:53:40 PM
Note, that it very wise to check power supply voltages on the chips at their socket pins BEFORE fitting the chip.

^^ This.

Bears repeating, many times over.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

rankot

You can try to replace it with LM13700, I suppose there's even conversion board for that.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

rankot

• SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

duck_arse

[I think the Svebster board has pads for either 13700/or 3080.]
don't make me draw another line.

PRR

The '3080 OTA was out of production a long time.

Back-alley scammers re-inked other chips and flooded the market.

A Known-Good source is Small Bear Electronics. Or Rochester. The Bear worked with Rochester to get the '3080 put back in small production. (Bear's price is better.)

I'm confused that you show large voltage on pin 5 and "working". Pin 5 is, as R.G. says, two small diodes to V- and CAN'T go over 1.2V without destruction. However a high p5 voltage is typical on many of the re-marked scam chips.
  • SUPPORTER

thermionix

When did Intersil quit making 3080s?  The chip in OP's picture appears to have a date code of late 2015.

Comparing the Intersil logo to that of a known real one, it's very close but not exactly the same.  Some fakes I've seen here have worse looking logos.  But that one in the picture I'm on the fence about, could be just a printing variation.

---------

I checked Google Images to try to find some pictures to illustrate what I'm talking about, but most I see look worse than OP's.  Probably no coincidence that they are almost all from Ebay and AliExpress.  Such as these:

I'm not claiming any expertise.  But I've seen fakes in some threads here with logos like those.  The one I have has much sharper printing, and the "underline" is more like OP's.

PRR

• SUPPORTER

lars-musik

I tried all kinds of sources for that chip - and most didn't work. None of the ebay buys at least.

Have you seen, that they are in production again in an SO-8 package? I have ordered some but not yet tested.

For example here:

https://www.musikding.de/CA3080AM-SMD

Svebster

Yeah, I talked to my eBay seller and he actually had more complaints about non working chips in his last batch. I already ordered a tested 3080 chip made by RCA. I hope this is gonna work! I'm sure my board works and everything is connected correctly as the pedal works with some chips!

Thanks!

Svebster

The IC arrived and the pedal works. - Good place in the UK to buy the chip: www.littlediode.com

snk

+1 for buying CA3080 from reliable sellers : I just got my first experience of a fake/dodgy chip, and cheap prices aren't worth the time wasted for debugging.
I used the daughterboard adapter on veroboard that Rankot mentionned above, and now my Transmorgrifier clone works using a LM13700.
The adapter is not very elegant on the circuit, but who cares :)