Germanium transistor leakage issues

Started by Lücking, November 03, 2017, 05:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highwater

On Linux, your best bet is an international keyboard layout with an "AltGr" key; that'll work pretty-much the same way as on a Mac.

How you'd go about doing that will depend on your distribution/desktop-environment/etc, but it's probably wherever your language settings are. I think by default AltGr will replace your right-hand Alt/Meta key, but if you have a Windows keyboard it should be pretty simple to use the menu key instead (it may or may-not involve hand-editing the keyboard layout files).
"I had an unfortunate combination of a very high-end medium-size system, with a "low price" phono preamp (external; this was the decade when phono was obsolete)."
- PRR

swever

What exactly does leakage mean in terms of actual result? E.g. how does say a fuzz face built with higher leakage transistors sound compared to one with low leakage transistors?

Also, my experiments with fuzz faces showed that high hfe does not neccessary mean "better" sound at all. Different flavour, yes, but not better/worse.
I think the higher the hfe of the second transistor, the less "fuzz" and more output level you get, at least that's what I have experienced.

duck_arse

no. [now_chastened] yes. [/now_chastened] only, Ȱ is U+230, μ is U+03BC.
don't make me draw another line.

BetterOffShred

I honestly thought you were joking around.   Then you said you used Unix.  I didn't mean to be an ass.   :o

Glad you got it figured out!

duck_arse

QuoteI honestly thought you were joking around.

you're not the first person on this very forum to say that.

Ω, μ.
don't make me draw another line.