f*nder blender or s*perfuzz - fuzz for bass?

Started by duck_arse, November 04, 2017, 09:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duck_arse

I've a superfuzz board built for nephew, only he asks "can I use this for bass as well?" seeing as I have no case design or offboards wired as yet, I can still add things like a (clean) blend pot, like people say is "the way" with bass fuzz.

I have no bass or ear to test with, so, questions - is the superfuzz good to go for bass, as stock (but with diode lift switch, obvs.)?

I drew up what I thought would be a mixer-pot circuit, shown lower in the above dia, but looking at the circuit for the fender blender I see it isn't what I thought. next question - is what I was thinking right or usable or just plain dumb and wrong? and how come the fender stop resistor (at R11) is so so low a value? how much "clean" is needed for a bass clean fuzz blend?

opinions, pointers and comments all welcome. thanks for looking.
don't make me draw another line.

moid

I've no idea if this circuit will blend well for bass, but I have found that when I've wanted to do that to a fuzz, I've really had to add a clean boost to the bass so that when blended with the (usually) much louder fuzz circuit you can mix the two signals together at similar volume levels. In other words, bass in>buffer>split to fuzz circuit / split to clean boost >blend signals pot>bass out.

Have you got an octave pedal? Not the same as a bass of course, but maybe run your guitar through that as a test on the pedal?

Mushrooms in Shampoo -  Amidst the Ox Eyes - our new album!

https://mushroomsinshampoo.bandcamp.com/album/amidst-the-ox-eyes

duck_arse

clean boost? that's right out. I'm only looking to add a pot to what's already there. [as for the octave pedal - the armour-plated board is soldered, woodwork is a holdup on progress.]

Marcos - Munky

What about a bass boost?

I built this one in parallel with a bazz fuss and got good results. No input buffer, just connected both inputs together and used a 10K resistor after each volume pot.

bool

You must always pay attention to the signal phase (polarity), especially with bass.

You got away with it because both bazz fuss and the EH clone were inverting design.

If for any reason you want to mix signals of different phase/polarity, you must be very pedantic (=anal) about setting the cross-over frequencies - because for any practical purpose you will have to filter/split the signal spectrally before mixing, otherwise you can obtain quite interesting (but imho not usable) results.

duck_arse

I'd discounted phase, because the superfuzz has the phase splitter and adder thing. what I've heard from the pot schemes I've schem'd sounded more like arse than interesting. I've yet to look on the cro to see what's happening with levels and such.

anotherjim

I have heard people say they like the Supafuzz just as it is on bass.
If so, then Bob's your uncle.

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: bool on November 06, 2017, 08:49:43 AM
You must always pay attention to the signal phase (polarity), especially with bass.

You got away with it because both bazz fuss and the EH clone were inverting design.

If for any reason you want to mix signals of different phase/polarity, you must be very pedantic (=anal) about setting the cross-over frequencies - because for any practical purpose you will have to filter/split the signal spectrally before mixing, otherwise you can obtain quite interesting (but imho not usable) results.

Yeah, I know about that. They both have the same signal phase. I didn't mentioned on phase because I think superfuzz are inverting too.

bool

My (anal) guesstimate with "octaving" circuits would be to run a transient spice analysis and check that in the waveform, both signal legs point in the same "direction" vertically before mixing; and of course the resulting final waveform after the mixing stage.

But all sort of smearing tone effects can be made with mixing signals out of phase and setting the right crossover freq. points, so ....

JustinFun

Quote from: anotherjim on November 06, 2017, 11:42:01 AM
I have heard people say they like the Supafuzz just as it is on bass.
If so, then Bob's your uncle.

It sounds pretty lairy (in a good way) on the Beastie Boys' 'Sabotage'