ggg single buffer mods?

Started by tacobender, November 05, 2017, 05:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacobender

Si ive been wanting to make a buffer to put in between my wah and fuzz. Ive got the GGG single buffer pcb, but before I put it together I was wondering if anyone has any mods for adding an output pot? If the reistor values should be changed or anything that can help. Any input would be appreciated.

Elijah-Baley

I have in my Cry Baby a Foxrox Retrofit in the end of the wah. It works fine with the fuzz, now. That circuit has a trimmer to adjust the volume output.
Try to look here: http://www.foxroxelectronics.com/FoxroxWahRetrofit.html
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

thermionix

+1 for the FoxRox.

I can vouch for this perf layout for rolling your own:

Compact enough to mount on the side wall of a typical wah, up above or beside the footswitch, usually free space there.

tacobender

Thats cool, but I didn't really want to alter the wah. Just use as a stand alone buffer between them. I try building one of these and see how it goes.

Elijah-Baley

None alter to your wah sound, no more then if you put an external buffer unit between the wah and the fuzz. If it into the wah it is active just when the wah is engag, so no effect if the is off. I guess it's the easy way.

I built te Sabrotone veroboard.
http://www.sabrotone.com/?p=2611
Adjust the trimmer, or you can replace the trimmer with a pot, but in that case you need to drill the wah case.

Else put the Retrofit into a box, maybe an A size.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»

Redvers

I may be wrong but I think with a unity gain buffer you could tweak the existing components for a boost, but to reduce gain you'd need a separate volume pot after the circuit.

Elijah-Baley

I guess you mean the input buffer in the Cry Baby PCB. Right?
If the problem is to adjust the volume of the Cry Baby you can act on a pair of resistor on its board.

The target here is, I guess, put a buffer between the wah and the fuzz, I think because they often doesn't play good if the wah is in front of the fuzz. To fix this issue it's possible put after the wah a buffer.
Tacobender would even a volume control.

I said again, the Foxrox Retrofit solve the "interaction" wah-fuzz, and it is equipped with a volume trimmer.
I didn't do the external volume pot mod, but it is on my list. I planned a lot of mods for my standard Cry Baby. :D

Waiting for a better solution. ;)

thermionix

Quote from: tacobender on November 06, 2017, 02:33:10 AM
Thats cool, but I didn't really want to alter the wah. Just use as a stand alone buffer between them.

I had to be convinced myself.  A buddy has a nice old stack-o-dimes Crybaby with the Foxrox output buffer, and it sounds totally vintage when plugged straight into the amp.  I wasn't sold on the idea until I spent some time with his, trying it in front of various things.

If you use a standalone between, you'll need to turn it off every time you kick the wah off, or else your fuzz will sound thin and awful.  Much easier operationally to bypass it all together.

tacobender

Ya that is my goal to have a stand alone buffer to put between my T.O crybaby and my homemade tonebender. The fuzz into wah washes out all the wah, or most of it anyway. Even dirt/overdrive pedals have the same result. I wanted to go with the stand alone, with external pot so I can dial it in on the fly. I guess I could drill a hole in the enclosure for the external pot... But I dont know if I have the heart to irreparably modify any vintage pedal. Also I thought I might want to use the buffer in other areas of my chain. ...hum choices choices :o