Author Topic: Help with Electric Druid DigiDelay  (Read 398 times)

ferdinandstrat

Help with Electric Druid DigiDelay
« on: November 05, 2017, 02:51:50 PM »
Hey I just finished building the Digidelay and it sounds amazing. Sadly I have a small issue, the "splash" feature doesnt work and for some reason I have to press the bypass switch twice to turn the delay off. Any help?

bluebunny

Re: Help with Electric Druid DigiDelay
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 04:22:39 PM »
Did you use momentary switches for both bypass and tap?
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

ferdinandstrat

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 04:53:47 PM »
Yes

ElectricDruid

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 10:44:01 AM »
Maybe check the 10K pull-ups on those pins. If they were floating about, some weird stuff like that might happen.

Aside from that, are the switches any good?

Tom

ferdinandstrat

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 12:12:42 PM »
Well, the switches are good, I ordered them from small bear. I guess reflowing the joints wont hurt

ElectricDruid

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 12:22:35 PM »
You can test if the problem is the switch by shorting across the pads on the PCB where the switch attaches. It's a bit tricky since it's hard to make a reliable connection, but it works and gives you an idea if you fiddle about a bit.

If the pedal works ok like that, most likely is you've overheated the switch soldering it.

HTH,
Tom

ferdinandstrat

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 01:21:08 PM »
I tried reflowing the solders and replacing the IC's just in case, nothing.

I desoldered the wires from the switch and tried to see what happens when I simply short the wires. Sometimes it turns off the first time I touch and others it doesnt, does this mean the switch is bad?

ferdinandstrat

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 01:36:28 PM »
Question, I've seen in the pictures on the site that the jacks used were plastic with no chassis ground. I used plastic jacks, which means I do have chassis ground, could that affect anything?

potul

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 02:53:10 PM »
Did you use NC or NO switches?

ferdinandstrat

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 03:16:24 PM »
Pretty sure that NO

potul

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 03:35:58 PM »
Pretty sure that NO

Then I suppose it's ok. I mentioned it because this type of behaviour is typical from using latching switches instead of momentary, or using NC instead of NO.

Looking at the schematic NO seems to be ok, although I didn't check the code.

Mat

ElectricDruid

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 07:00:05 PM »
Question, I've seen in the pictures on the site that the jacks used were plastic with no chassis ground. I used plastic jacks, which means I do have chassis ground, could that affect anything?

A few people have been thrown a bit by that photo. I can reveal the real reason for that unit having plastic jacks though: I mis-drilled the holes, and the larger plastic nuts on the outside covered up the damage!! It was always intended to use open-frame metal jacks in which case the chassis would be grounded. There's no problem with that.

Also the switches should definitely be normally open. Normally closed will confuse me and the pedal.

HTH,
Tom

ferdinandstrat

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 12:44:59 AM »
Thanks for the help my friend, I ordered some new switches.

Trust me I have so many issues with misdrilled holes, the amount of times I repurpused enclosures is ridiculous.