Mosfet Screamer (Hungry Robot)

Started by Plexi, November 07, 2017, 11:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plexi

Thoughts?

Looks interesting.
I would leave R8 fixed (maybe lower to ~1k) and place a volume pot after C4 as "pre gain".
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

antonis

Unless you use a low value pot (1k or lower, say) it will be loaded by the op-amp bias resistor..
(in a non-linear manner..)

P.S.1
In the NFB loop you use ordinary diodes but you've marked them as Zeners..  :icon_wink:

P.S.
IMHO, it should be more interesting to use MosFets instead of clipping diodes..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Plexi

Thanks for the observations, guys!
It isn't my idea, as I describe in the thread's title, it supose to be a limited-run (only 18) from Hungry Robot pedals.

Antonis, you're right!
As always, typos: the idea was place the pot 'before' (not 'after') the coupling cap.
But, judging by the mosfet architecture, I'll omit R12 and R8, and place there a B5K pot, limited to ~1k min.

Kipper, you're right.. which would be their function?

Interesting the added treble bleed on the volume section (R1 and C6): would be any big difference?

Transmogrifox

The treble bleed is the only thing in this circuit that will stand out as remarkably different than the stock TS sound.

Otherwise this circuit adds subtle touches to the TS stock sound.  Maybe it's just the "little sumpin'" you need, but it won't make you jump back in awe wondering how you have done without this tone all your life. 

It's probably a little more pleasant than a TS when you drive the input with a really hot signal.  It may also be nice for guitars with more moderate or low output pickups.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

Plexi

Yup.. you're right.
Did you tried to build this one?

I'll leave the TS part as is, and will tweak some values from the Mosfet stage to get more gain from it.
My tests with a OD1 and a breadboarded SHO, with some coupling caps changes, gived a nice results.