Boss AW-3 Dynamic Wah volume drop fix or mod?

Started by scorchedcortex, November 07, 2017, 11:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scorchedcortex

Hello folks,

I am new the forum. I have a Boss AW-3 Dynamic Wah and there seems to be a bit of a volume drop when engaged. Is there any mod or component change that will counteract the volume drop? I can't seem to find a schematic, but I believe it's based on the AW-2?

Thanks for your time and help!

Mark Hammer

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Mark Hammer on November 07, 2017, 12:56:01 PM
Forget it, Jake.  It's Digitaltown.

...where DIY tumbleweeds blow mournfully across the deserted streets.

Redvers

Where do you put it? First in chain should fix any volume issues?

Fancy Lime

Well, that's a depressing outcome of a first question by a new member. Let me try that again:

Hello scorchedcortex, welcome to the DIYungle (pronounced like "jungle")!

True, modding digital pedals is not at all trivial and hence not overly popular around these here parts. Just changing components is very likely not going to cut it. I would suggest one of two things:
1) If you really want to mod the thing, you can add a tiny booster between the actual circuit and the bypass switching. Still not trivial but may be possible. You definitely need proper schematics and the factory layout to figure out how to do that and if it is feasible.
2) My preferred option would be to build a "boosted looper" pedal. Just a small adjustable boost circuit that comes after a series loop and a foot switch with which you can activate the loop. Very useful utility pedal to have in many situations. The AW-3 would then always stay on and you only switch it in and out with your new DIY pedal. I don't know about your DIY experience, so if you need pointers on how to do that, let us know.

And no, AW-2 and AW-3 seem to be completely different designs. If you would like to build your very own design instead, we are quite the crowd of Auto Wah / Envelope Filter aficionados here and glad to help with that.

Hope that helps,
Andy

EDIT: forgot to ask: Is your name Jake or is "Forget it, Jake" some obscure Canadian idiom that I am unaware of? ó_Ò
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

pinkjimiphoton

+1 on andy's advice. thats the easiest way.

maybe ya got the sensitivity on the filter too high? that can sweep it up into the absolutely useless range of treble, and it will definitely seem thin. turning it all the way down, and turning up sparingly til it quacks may help.

that said... the loop box with the boost as andy suggests is the easiest.

or you could hack in a small booster, but you're gonna need the schematic, cuz you'll have to break the trace between the circuit and the switching, and insert the new snippet there. not an easy task on one of these boss digitals.

if ya just got it, i'd return it and ask for a replacement. you may have gotten a dud, too.

but you have collective GENIUS level guys here that can help ya guide your way to rolling your own if ya choose to get your feet wet!
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

ElectricDruid

Sorry, wasn't wanting to put a downer on anything. Mark's right though, modding modern digital pedals is difficult bordering impossible in many cases. Which is a pity, 'cos otherwise I'm probably one of the loons who'd give it a try. It's certainly easier than having to design your own hardware. That's why stuff like Tonecore was a good idea, even if it never quite did get the traction it deserved.

And as Señor F.Lime says, welcome to the forum. May your future posts attract positive vibes and all your DIY pedals spring to life first try!

Tom

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Fancy Lime on November 08, 2017, 06:35:36 AMEDIT: forgot to ask: Is your name Jake or is "Forget it, Jake" some obscure Canadian idiom that I am unaware of? ó_Ò
It's an oblique reference to the last scene in the film "Chinatown", in which Jack Nicholson's character tries desperately to make sense of a very ugly tragedy, and his colleague tells him "Forget it, Jake.  It's Chinatown." as a way of conveying that he shouldn't even TRY to make sense of it.

Fancy Lime

Aha, I see. Thanks for the clarification. Another movie classic I have never see. I really must read up on my pop culture references.

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!