Using JOYO-PXL-PRO trigger pedal to mute/unmute headset mic

Started by m_agerlin, November 07, 2017, 02:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m_agerlin

Hi - I've got at Joyo PXL-PRO loop-pedal-router which I use for controlling my guitar pedals. It also has a trigger function aimed at changing channel on your amp etc. As I understand it this trigger simply short circuits the poles in your amp foot-switch plug-in like a manual foot switch would do.

I am singer too and would love to make the trigger control mute/un-mute on my headset microphone. I have Google that to mute a microphone with XLR cables all you have to do is to short circuit pin 2 and 3 on the XLR plug.

First I thought this could be easily done by making the PXL simply short circuit pin 2 and 3 but then I realized that this would keep pin 2 (or 3) continuously connected to ground as I suppose the sleeve on the jack plug from PXL must be ground :-(

Another issue could be if microphone is connected to a mixer that provides phantom power - can this damage the PXL?

My knowledge en electronics is limited so any advice is very welcome!

PRR

Welcome.

Why not put a simple switch in a box?

I understand making an existing box do it, but there's too many unknowns here.
  • SUPPORTER

m_agerlin

The simple box might be my end solution.

I already have a mute switch on the cable but problem is that I keep forgetting to un-mute the mic after all the small talk between songs at rehearsals.

On my PXL I have guitar settings for every song so if I could add mic un-mute to these settings I would not have this problem.

If it ends up with a simple box it must have a BIG RED FLASHING diode when mic is muted ;-)

ElectricDruid

Paul, could you repost that MIDI-relay schematic here please? I couldn't see it from the other link or some reason (the problem might be at my end I suppose). It looked fine in the tiny version...

I don't have the MIDICLK chip in the shop since there's not enough demand for it, but I've occasionally programmed one up if someone asked about it. I don't have a PCB for it, but it's a simple enough circuit to do on veroboard.

Tom

PRR

https://s33.postimg.org/4tydr1rkf/MIDI-relay.gif

I should add: everything to the right of "CN1" is the MIDICLK project. Stuff to the left is added on to short the mike on MIDI command.
  • SUPPORTER

ElectricDruid

I dunno what's going on - I still can't see it. My internet must be up the creek. Maybe it'll come back later. Thanks anyway.

I'm sure you know what you're doing adding a relay switcher to a 5V output, so you don't need me to check it for you.

If I understood it right, that'd give you a system where a "MIDI Start" message starts muting, and a "MIDI Stop" message stops muting. It's a bit odd (from a MIDI specification point of view), but it's very simple.

Tom

PRR

If I got the start/stop wrong, the NPN can be a PNP etc. Of course it is definition: is it "mute start" or "mike start"?

I never got into MIDI. Doesn't the device need a logical ID? Is that in the code?
  • SUPPORTER

ElectricDruid

Quote from: PRR on November 12, 2017, 10:02:31 PM
If I got the start/stop wrong, the NPN can be a PNP etc. Of course it is definition: is it "mute start" or "mike start"?

Quite! Rather than change the circuit, you can just change the definition.

I never got into MIDI. Doesn't the device need a logical ID? Is that in the code?

Ordinarily, you'd need to define a channel number somehow for the device to respond to, since MIDI has 16 channels of data. But beyond the 16 channels, MIDI has a certain group of global messages that everything is supposed to respond to. The "Realtime" messages for controlling a sequencer or similar ("Start","Stop","Continue" and "MIDI clock") are in that group, so no MIDI channel is required. That's another reason they're about the simplest to deal with.