BYOC 5 Knob vs Engeener's Thumb

Started by POTL, November 08, 2017, 05:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POTL

Already asked questions about Engineer's thumb
But recently stumbled upon a Byoc 5 knob
For ET, there is simplicity in assembly, and fewer details (controls correspond to studio devices).
For Byoc, simplicity in the governing bodies is said. I'm really far from the studio work and do not really understand the fundamental principles of the ratio / threshold / release
Byoc for me is more logical and understandable.
As far as I know, ET is considered the best diy compressor based on ota, but tell me, Byoc is much inferior to it in terms of work quality, noise / signal ratio?

samhay

The ET has become somewhat of a DIYSB standard because it is a good design. It is not the perfect compressor, but it's about as good as you are likely to get for an OTA compressor that will comfortably fit in a 1590B.

I haven't built the BYOC compressor
- NB: Schematics are helpful: http://byocelectronics.com/5knobcompschematic.pdf -
However, I can speculate. It has a clean blend circuit driving a modified Dyna Comp compressor with variable 'attack' and a rudimentary tone control. The Dyna Comp is a classic design and some people really like clean/parallel blend with a compressor, so it seems like a reasonable choice.
Will it be quieter than an ET - almost certainly not.
The ET has better control over the compressor's behaviour. You can get essentially all the same control options as the BYOC excluding the clean blend (tone control is with a switch, but this could be a pot instead). If you don't find the ET control as intuitive, I'm sure we can help you understand and/or tweak these - i.e. ratio and threshold controls are probably unnecessary, so pick one and call it sustain.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

PRR

> variable 'attack'

Actually recovery.
  • SUPPORTER

samhay

I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

POTL

In fact, I love the way Dyna Comp changes the sound of David Gilmour and John Frusciante.
I also love the sound of Wampler Ego and Walrus Deep Six.
Frankly, in ET I'm attracted to 2 things
1) Fewer components
2) The noise level is very low, at least as stated in the description. Last night I was looking for user reviews, but mostly no one used it, all just read the builder forums and discussed rumors, LOL
In fact, if the difference in noise is not great, I will go along with BYOC, since its control seems more logical to me.
I also watched the Foxpedal refinery demo, as it seemed to me, the overall volume of the circuitry was losing to classic compressors like MXR, Wampler, Keeley.

Still, I wonder if I'm worried about the noise level in BYOC / MXR / ROSS and others or the difference between them and ET is not great?

thermionix

I don't notice any noise issues with my Dynacomp, but perhaps I'm less picky about it than some because my amp has a fair amount of "blow" anyway.  I suppose any comp will amplify noise of whatever is in front of it, when the gain ramps up.

cnspedalbuilder

I actually started a thread on this a while back. I've built the 3 knob ET and the 5 knob BYOC. Both are great pedals.

The biggest advantage of the BYOC is that you can get the PCB, which really makes it an afternoon project. It sounds absolutely fantastic to me. I use it as an always on pedal. I can get transparent sounds or color the tone if I want. I can clamp down the transients or set the attack so that it just works as a sustainer. Really great pedal. To my ears, it's a little different from a Dynacomp, maybe more like the Keeley variant?

The ET is great too, but without the attack pot, I found that it just killed my transients. I would strongly recommend doing the 5 pot version because for me the attack pot is very useful. If you prefer vero/perf/diypcb, then this is a good option. I believe there is also someone who sells a 5 knob ET PCB but can't remember site.

IMHO you can't go wrong with either one. 

POTL

Quote from: cnspedalbuilder on November 11, 2017, 02:42:23 AM
I actually started a thread on this a while back. I've built the 3 knob ET and the 5 knob BYOC. Both are great pedals.

The biggest advantage of the BYOC is that you can get the PCB, which really makes it an afternoon project. It sounds absolutely fantastic to me. I use it as an always on pedal. I can get transparent sounds or color the tone if I want. I can clamp down the transients or set the attack so that it just works as a sustainer. Really great pedal. To my ears, it's a little different from a Dynacomp, maybe more like the Keeley variant?

The ET is great too, but without the attack pot, I found that it just killed my transients. I would strongly recommend doing the 5 pot version because for me the attack pot is very useful. If you prefer vero/perf/diypcb, then this is a good option. I believe there is also someone who sells a 5 knob ET PCB but can't remember site.

IMHO you can't go wrong with either one.

thanks for this message
I make boards myself.
It seems I'll go with BYOC