The Bare Box #3

Started by smallbearelec, November 12, 2017, 08:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallbearelec

Eleca makes several pedals in this sheetmetal format, which they showed me at last NAMM.

I asked if I could buy them as kits, and I've been able to build and try out their tube pedal and envelope filter over the last few months. They also have a clone of the Big Muff. I like the effects well enough, but I actually got more interested in the possibilities of the platform itself.

It's roomy (5 7/8 x 4 1/8 x 2 3/4 at the top), thus easy to work in, and inexpensive because Eleca already makes it for their own offerings. I have ordered for first quarter of  '18 the unpainted enclosure drilled completely for a two-knob build. The kit will also include: a pad-per-hole perfboard (mounting studs are pre-installed), 3PDT stomp switch, jacks for input and output and DC power, a battery drawer and rubber feet. Twist my paw and I'll throw in a couple of push-on knobs. Based on the costs that I have been given, retail for the whole thing will be under $25.00. Add a few bucks for what to stuff the board with, and you have a full kit of your own choosing for not a lot of money. I hope it sparks some ideazz.

Regards
SD

digi2t

If you could get them undrilled, that would be a bonus.

I'm thinking awesome Harmonic Percolator box. :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

ElectricDruid

Nice. It has a very old-school 60's pedal look. Or maybe stick wooden end cheeks on it and build your own moogerfooger!

Another vote for undrilled from me too - more flexible that way - although with only two holes it'd be easy enough to add a few more!

Tom

Plexi

Looks ultra robust
I like it
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

digi2t

Stick a slide switch on the side and voila!!, instant Superfuzz.  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Mark Hammer

Steve sent me an Eleca Tube overdrive earlier this summer (thank you again!), built in the same chassis.  It's pretty robust, and roomy enough for multiple stompswitches.  I guess I should mention that there was room inside for a 12AX7, albeit on its side, although I imagine a rail of some sort would permit vertical installation of a pair of pre-amp tubes in the box.

brianq

Quote from: digi2t on November 13, 2017, 06:19:12 AM

I'm thinking awesome Harmonic Percolator box. :icon_wink:
+100 it's screaming for a Harmonic Percolator, also thought of a Big Muff when I saw it, I kinda like these vintage oversized enclosures. I don't run a lot of pedals so I don't mind them being big?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smallbearelec

Quote from: ElectricDruid on November 13, 2017, 06:34:51 AM
Another vote for undrilled from me too - more flexible that way - although with only two holes it'd be easy enough to add a few more!

Exactly. And the holes for the jacks and stomper are where you would logically want them anyway. If this turns out to sell well, I'll be happy to get a three-hole version and possibly pre-painted pieces as well. Parts kits for stuffing the board are also obvious. But I have to order 100-unit minimums, so I'm starting a little small to limit the hit to cash. We are not hurting; it's just that I learned from my experience with the Bare Box #1 that what I think will be a blockbuster might not be what the mass market wants.

Aph

Is there a square hole punched for the DC jack?
I like the bigger box... lots of room for adding that additional circuitry that you (me) forgot to put on your (my) original circuit board.  ;)

Tony Forestiere

Quote from: smallbearelec on November 12, 2017, 08:31:48 PM

The kit will also include: a pad-per-hole perfboard (mounting studs are pre-installed), 3PDT stomp switch, jacks for input and output and DC power, a battery drawer and rubber feet. Twist my paw and I'll throw in a couple of push-on knobs. Based on the costs that I have been given, retail for the whole thing will be under $25.00. Add a few bucks for what to stuff the board with, and you have a full kit of your own choosing for not a lot of money. I hope it sparks some ideazz.

Regards
SD

At your approximate price point of $25.00 for all of this, I think you have a winner.  :icon_biggrin:
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

smallbearelec

Quote from: Aph on November 13, 2017, 08:19:41 PM
Is there a square hole punched for the DC jack?

Yes, and the exact height of the pre-installed studs combined with pre-drilled slots on the perfboard make for a precise fit.

glops

Love this enclosure, Steve. Will definitely purchase drilled. Would prefer undrilled but will buy either way!

ElectricDruid

Quote from: smallbearelec on November 13, 2017, 05:43:41 PM

Exactly. And the holes for the jacks and stomper are where you would logically want them anyway. If this turns out to sell well, I'll be happy to get a three-hole version and possibly pre-painted pieces as well. Parts kits for stuffing the board are also obvious. But I have to order 100-unit minimums, so I'm starting a little small to limit the hit to cash. We are not hurting; it's just that I learned from my experience with the Bare Box #1 that what I think will be a blockbuster might not be what the mass market wants.

To be clear, when I said "undrilled", I was only really referring to the front panel. I'm fine with holes for the jacks and power socket. I *know* I'm going to need those. What I'm not so sure about is how many knobs or switches on the panel this thing is going to need.

Thanks,
Tom

Ben N

Looks awesome, Steve, a little bit reminiscent of the old Ross stuff but without the recessed knobs. I would def be interested at that price, but  also think I would prefer an undrilled top, even if steel scares me a little. I can see using this for 2x stompers, like an OD with a boost, or a swirly thing with a LERA, for which the single centered stompswitch hole would be awkward. Maybe include with the kit a few drilling templates for common patterns, or just post them on your site as pdfs for downloading.
  • SUPPORTER

wavley

Quote from: ElectricDruid on November 15, 2017, 02:09:53 PM
Quote from: smallbearelec on November 13, 2017, 05:43:41 PM

I agree with this.  I might prefer the jacks to be at the back of the pedal on a box this big, but I'm not above putting hole plugs in a pre-drilled one and putting them in the back.  To me this screams russian big muff, I might like to build a backup that fits the same space of the one that's been on my board for twenty something years.

To be clear, when I said "undrilled", I was only really referring to the front panel. I'm fine with holes for the jacks and power socket. I *know* I'm going to need those. What I'm not so sure about is how many knobs or switches on the panel this thing is going to need.

Thanks,
Tom
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

smallbearelec

We have stock!

http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/the-bare-box-3-platform-kit/

Shipping costs were a little higher than I expected, but I still think it's good value. Future runs will include drilled 3-knob, undrilled, etc.

I will be working on some builds in this version. Meanwhile, here is a .diy file for others to hack up:

http://diy.smallbearelec.com/Projects/BareBox3/BareBoardWithPower.zip

Regards
SD