Malekko Spring Chicken - no effect, just hiss

Started by Snufkinoob, November 14, 2017, 02:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snufkinoob

Snagged one of these on ebay, and it worked fine for a while. I sold it, but the buyer said it wasn't working, and so returned it. It's not producing anything but hissy white noise when the effect is engaged.  :-[ It wasn't damaged in transit, the box was completely fine and well packed both ways.

I've done a little homework and it seems this isn't an isolated case with this particular pedal. One suggestion which I think solved the problem for one person was to coat a jack plug with contact cleaner and to repeatedly plug/unplug it in all the jacks. Didn't work for me. I've opened it up to check for bad connections but I can't see anything visibly wrong with the circuit board or wiring anywhere.

Only other things worth mentioning are:

The mix and dwell knobs seemed to have an effect at first. The hiss got louder, and was oscillating with the dwell on full, which is how the reverb usually behaves on higher settings. However, now it's just hiss and turning the knobs does little, if anything.

9v battery gets the same results, as does using different power supplies. I tried a daisy-chain connection with three other pedals (all Boss) but when I plugged in the forth connector to the Chicken, it killed the other pedals dead. No damage, just cut them out, and they wouldn't power up until I removed the plug from the Chicken. No idea if that is an indication of a possible source of the problem?

Any ideas? :)

GibsonGM

Sounds like a possible short in the chicken power supply, to me.   That would cut out your daisy chain.

Any chance the dude who bought it could have used the wrong polarity power supply??

Do you have a digital multimeter? (DMM)     If so, test for continuity between + and - with a plug plugged into the input jack (to switch the effect on - but don't YOU apply any power during this test), see if you get 'beep' or a low resistance reading across the battery snap.

That is step 1...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Snufkinoob

There is some continuity. It's reading 0.300 in the 2k range across + and _ of both the battery snap and the adaptor connector. Forgot to mention the LED works, if that's an indication of anything.

No idea if the guy used an incorrect power supply by accident.

NFX

If we knew if this circuit had reverse polarity protection we could eliminate that theory, a schematic would be good but I doubt there isn't one about. I would think there would be a regulator in the circuit somewhere(probably a 5v) and I suspect it has been damaged by wrong power supply.

GibsonGM

Yes....if you can find and post a link to schematic, that'd help a lot!   And, a couple of pics of your PC board to go along with it, both front and back...maybe we can see either a regulator or a diode for reverse protection.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.  Give it (and us) some time, and we'll figure out what's going on!  :)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Snufkinoob

Doesn't look like there's any power protection diode. There's a resistor in that protective sheath...

NFX

What's that transistor next to the sleeving say on it

Snufkinoob

It's just a 2n5088, V readings are:

E 1.37
B 1.49
C 6.38

GibsonGM

Quote from: Snufkinoob on November 16, 2017, 04:48:35 PM
It's just a 2n5088, V readings are:

E 1.37
B 1.49
C 6.38

There should be a diode drop between  B and E, so this seems to be telling you something.   Exactly what, I'm not sure, haha.  This effect is out of my experience, and no schematic to see how it works.   

I still think it could be reverse-polarity was applied.
  • SUPPORTER

Snufkinoob

If the wrong polarity was used, would new transistors, IC and belton brick be a possible fix?

NFX

If your not in a hurry I can look at it if you posted it to me but it would be the end of December or early January until I can properly look at it

GibsonGM

Quote from: NFX on November 18, 2017, 02:45:10 PM
If your not in a hurry I can look at it if you posted it to me but it would be the end of December or early January until I can properly look at it

I'd take him up on that, Snuf!  This kind of circuit  (looks SMD) is really hard to troubleshoot at a distance.  Typical stomp boxes are easier.

Someone with more tech ability can take a lot of measurements quickly and determine (hopefully) what the next step should be.  Going around randomly replacing things often leads to disappointment (does nothing, or the new parts fry...), and can also ruin the unit.  If you don't HAVE to take stuff out, you shouldn't, as you run the risk of overheating parts, ruining solder pads and the like.
  • SUPPORTER

Snufkinoob

Quote from: NFX on November 18, 2017, 02:45:10 PM

Pm'd thanks