deep trip bog fuzz

Started by Austrian, November 15, 2017, 11:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austrian

Hey guys,
I want to build the Deep Trip Bog Fuzz, does anyone have a schematic or information about it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guqCqBAxqwY

Greetings from Vienna
Franz

Mark Hammer

First, given just how many different distortion pedals Andy gets to demo, I'm always amazed that he is able to find something to show off the virtues of yet another such pedal.  HOts off to him for being so optimistic and not becoming jaded.

Second, from his description, it would suggest that the pedal is yet another FUzz Face derivative - the circuit that launched a thousand clones - that incorporates something akin to Joe Gagan's variable bass trim ahead of the first transistor.  Assuming my hunch of the FF origins is correct, the demo also suggests that selection of transistors will be important, and maybe something a schematic will not easily reveal.  That's just a first guess.

nocentelli

http://postimg.org/image/giq8adis9/

Essentially a modified fuzzface with a switchable input buffer, switchable input cap (4n7/33n/10u) after the input buffer and an output buffer stage. Most values are tweaked slightly from the stock FF circuit, a few extra parts (B-C caps, trimmers on the collectors etc) but nothing revolutionary. Just be aware the schematic has a slight error in that the fuzzface section has the 100k resistor from Q2's emitter to Q2 base, when it should go to Q1's base.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

BetterOffShred

What do you think for Transistors in the FF part?  B109C's or 549/550C's like in the Fuzz God II ? It looks like a worthwhile build..  As Mark Hammer pointed out, Andy pretty much makes a pile of dog manure with some cords coming out of it sound good (Though I have not seen him demo "The Turd") so It's hard to let myself get excited about equipment he demos..   

Thanks for sharing that schematic :)  Error noted with 100k from Q2..

nocentelli

I like BC109c in a Si fuzzface, but I'm not sure why you would have a buffer in front - I guess the large resistance after the buffer helps mitigate the awfulness usually inflicted upon an innocent fuzzface by an upstream buffer.

BetterOffShred

They are touting that you can stick wah's before or after it and put all kinds of stuff in front of it and it still sounds good, so I'm guessing they are using the input buffer for that purpose as well.   Electrosmash indicates that the Fuzz Face input impedance is pretty low so it loads up the pickups ..

What is the purpose/function of the variable resistor at Q1's collector in the schematic ? Is there a suggested value/taper ?  I'm attempting to learn about this stuff a little bit as I build it..     Reading up a little on it at the Electrosmash site,  they indicate this sets gain and bias for Q1?   So what's to be gained (Pun not intended) by making that a variable resistor?   

In the Bog Fuzz, it seems to have a low and high frequency controls added as well, maybe a lowpass filter added after the 100nf before the volume knob? would this work?   I guess I should breadboard it! hah, at least it's fun to discuss.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: BetterOffShred on November 15, 2017, 01:07:39 PM
What do you think for Transistors in the FF part?  B109C's or 549/550C's like in the Fuzz God II ? It looks like a worthwhile build..  As Mark Hammer pointed out, Andy pretty much makes a pile of dog manure with some cords coming out of it sound good (Though I have not seen him demo "The Turd") so It's hard to let myself get excited about equipment he demos..   

Thanks for sharing that schematic :)  Error noted with 100k from Q2..
All the more reason to install sockets for the transistors and experiment.  You might stumble onto something you like, and maybe like even more.

And, as I often do, I recommend providing some means for increasing that 100k feedback resistor, to achieve different sorts of glitchy sounds.  That could be a 250k variable resistor if you crave continuous adjustment, or a 3-position toggle to insert two additional higher resistances.

Hatredman

Quote from: nocentelli on November 15, 2017, 12:47:02 PM
Essentially a modified fuzzface with a switchable input buffer, switchable input cap (4n7/33n/10u) after the input buffer and an output buffer stage

This schem shows the first version of the BOG.

Version 2 drops the switches in favor of a high pass filter at the front (to tighten the bass before it hits the FF) and a Low Pass after the FF to tame the fizzy highs - five-knob glory. A very "behaving" Fuzz Face.

...nothing revolutionary.

No, but you can tame it
Kirk Hammet invented the Burst Box.

BetterOffShred

Quote from: Hatredman on November 15, 2017, 05:49:29 PM
Version 2 drops the switches in favor of a high pass filter at the front (to tighten the bass before it hits the FF) and a Low Pass after the FF to tame the fizzy highs - five-knob glory. A very "behaving" Fuzz Face.
No, but you can tame it

Very cool, I had guessed at a Low pass at the end before the volume, and began looking into High passes for the input.   Any suggested values on the R-C in either spots? 
This looks like a very fun fuzz.   I built and modded a Fuzz God II which I've read is also a modified Fuzz Face variant.. and I really enjoy that one.  I may try to breadboard this in the near future. 

Austrian

Quote from: nocentelli on November 15, 2017, 12:47:02 PM

Essentially a modified fuzzface with a switchable input buffer, switchable input cap (4n7/33n/10u) after the input buffer and an output buffer stage. Most values are tweaked slightly from the stock FF circuit, a few extra parts (B-C caps, trimmers on the collectors etc) but nothing revolutionary. Just be aware the schematic has a slight error in that the fuzzface section has the 100k resistor from Q2's emitter to Q2 base, when it should go to Q1's base.

I rewrote the schematic a little bit, is that how it works?

nocentelli

Just guessing, but I suspect the high-pass/bass pot at the front is more likely to be a typical "cap blend", i.e. small cap (e.g. 4n7) in parallel with a larger cap (e.g. 10uf) + variable resistor pot in series (e.g. 100k); The lowpass/treble control on the end is more likely a Rat-style filter control, i.e. 100k pot as variable resistor in series with the output cap, followed by a small (e.g. 3n3) to ground. Again, these are just guesses, common tweaks that work well with this style of fuzz circuit.

Austrian

Well, I changed the circuit again.
Can you check if this works or if I have made a mistake?

Greetings from Vienna, Franz

duck_arse

hello, Vienna. as they say, there are no kangaroos in Austria.

yr circuit - I think C4 does the job of C2, you can probably delete it/replace it w/ pulldown resistor. R5 AND R6? why not a single resistor? same applies to R8 & R9. C5 might need a pulldown. there will be a DC path from base of Q2 through the bass control - dunno if it will matter, but it is there.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Austrian

Quote from: duck_arse on November 17, 2017, 08:42:08 AM
hello, Vienna. as they say, there are no kangaroos in Austria.

yr circuit - I think C4 does the job of C2, you can probably delete it/replace it w/ pulldown resistor. R5 AND R6? why not a single resistor? same applies to R8 & R9. C5 might need a pulldown. there will be a DC path from base of Q2 through the bass control - dunno if it will matter, but it is there.
Yes, there are no kangaroos in Austria, but mountains, lots of wine, pretty girls and good beer ;-)
I just took the schematic from the top and changed a bit (treble, bass, etc). That's why I did not think much about duplicate components. What would interest me only if this works or my circuit is not correct.

Hatredman

Quote from: Austrian on November 16, 2017, 06:54:00 AM
I rewrote the schematic a little bit, is that how it works?

Worth a try.
Kirk Hammet invented the Burst Box.

Austrian

Hi guys,

I have an outrageous request. Can someone transfer this schematic to a strip grid layout?

Best regards from Vienna, Franz

roseblood11

Sure: you! Download diylayoutcreator, have a look at similar circuits at the tagboardeffects site and try it.
Succeed - or give up and put a request on that site ;-)

nocentelli

Quote from: Austrian on November 19, 2017, 12:11:48 AM
Hi guys,

I have an outrageous request. Can someone transfer this schematic to a strip grid layout?

Best regards from Vienna, Franz

The bass control in that schematic does not seem right, and the treble control, as drawn, is in fact going to act as another bass cut/high pass filter, not a treble control.

PRR

> no kangaroos in Austria

I suppose you know that there is at least one kangaroo in Austria.

"Anton sitting in a snowy backyard near the town of Braunau. Photo: Ooe.orf.at
"Anton the kangaroo bounded away from his owner several weeks ago and has been living rough ever since, disappearing into forested land every time someone tries to capture him."
http://www.smh.com.au/world/no-kangaroos-in-austria-at-least-one-is-lost-in-the-snow-20150128-130j3b.html
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

but .... the secretary general, the teeshirts .....
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.