easy vibe help Part 3

Started by bifbangpow, November 15, 2017, 05:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bifbangpow

So I've had some spare time today and decided to get back to working on a few pedals that I never successfully finished.  So I apologize in advance if I occupy the threads today.
I'm building this Easy Vibe:  http://www.hollis.co.uk/john/circuits.html
and here's the schematic: http://www.hollis.co.uk/john/easyvibe.jpg
Heres an FAQ: http://www.hollis.co.uk/john/easyvibe.html

I get NO SOUND.  Neither clean nor FX.  Here are my ICIs:

U1-

1.  1.4
2. 2.6
3. 1.15
4. .02
5. 1.07
6. 1.41
7. 1.48
8. 8.6

U2-

1. 3.8
2. 5.1
3. 5.1
4. .02
5. 5.1
6. 4.6
7. 7.7
8. 8.8

U3-

1. 5.1
2. 5.1
3. 5.1
4. .02
5. 5.3
6. 2.4
7. 2.3
8. 8.8

U4-

1. 5.3
2. 5.3
3. 4.5
4. .03
5. 4.9
6. 4.5
7. 7.7
8. 8.5

Please help.
Keep on keepn on.

Plexi

To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

GibsonGM

Fixed the wrongly-oriented diodes to prevent confusion.    8)

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

bifbangpow

Perhaps I shouldnt have bothered trying to modify it.  But I did. and now I can't get any sound out of the thing. it's been months.
Keep on keepn on.

thermionix

Did it work before you modified it?

duck_arse

[Gibson - two of the diodes at the DEPTH pot are shown backwards on that dia.]

edit : .... as I was ....
don't make me draw another line.

GibsonGM

Quote from: duck_arse on November 16, 2017, 09:22:39 AM

Good eye, Stephen!    I threw it up there only for voltages, I should've made that clear. ...wasn't me who made it  ;)   I hope to remember to get in and modify that, though!
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Groovenut

Quote from: GibsonGM on November 16, 2017, 11:30:45 AM
Quote from: duck_arse on November 16, 2017, 09:22:39 AM

Good eye, Stephen!    I threw it up there only for voltages, I should've made that clear. ...wasn't me who made it  ;)   I hope to remember to get in and modify that, though!
Are we certain about the LED orientation? They seem to be that way in the original Hollis drawn schematic as well. Nothing in the FAQ about it either.
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

duck_arse

D1, 2, 3, 4 - should be two opposing strings of two diodes each, as shown on the hand drawn hollis.
don't make me draw another line.

Groovenut

Quote from: duck_arse on November 17, 2017, 09:34:36 AM
D1, 2, 3, 4 - should be two opposing strings of two diodes each, as shown on the hand drawn hollis.
Ah yes, my error. I thought you were referring to the LEDs. As you were  ;D
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

GibsonGM

Fixed
  • SUPPORTER

bifbangpow

Quote from: thermionix on November 15, 2017, 07:52:25 PM
Did it work before you modified it?

Dont know. Didnt try it. Modified the design before ever building one.  Really wanted an LED in there and a power input.

Still working my way through dummys guide to electronics and I am doing things above my knowledge level like a real asshole. But I'm impatient.
Keep on keepn on.

GibsonGM

That's how I started.

Time to audio probe the thing.     Do the LEDs light up?  (the ones attached to the LDRs...you did make your own vactrols, right?)  They should pulse.

Posting a few pics of your board, front and back, would probably be helpful...
  • SUPPORTER