Isolated splitter question

Started by P-Trash, November 16, 2017, 06:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

P-Trash

Hi. I want to built a hum-free splitter for two pedal chains (splitter out1->some guitar pedals->amp1; splitter out1->some other guitar pedals->amp2). Would this work fine in my case? http://www.geofex.com/FX_images/splitter.gif Can I leave only one isolated output and one direct output? And is this necessarily to add two batteries, or I can just use only 9v power supply?

Thanks!

antonis

First of all, Wellcome...  :icon_biggrin:

Second, let's make some corrections like from <splitter out1->some guitar pedals->amp1; splitter out1->some other guitar pedals->amp2> to <splitter out1->some guitar pedals->amp1; splitter out2->some other guitar pedals->amp2>

<Can I leave only one isolated output and one direct output?>
IMHO No, 'cause the "direct" output should share it's GND with both amps..
(but wait for R.G. to make things clear..)

<And is this necessarily to add two batteries, or I can just use only 9v power supply?>
Not necessary but advisable for more headroom..
In case of using only one 9V battery you have to create a +4.5V -4.5V "splitter" for zero volts reference point..
(but some op-amps doesn't work well with such a low possitive supply..)
You can alternatively form a voltage divider for +4.5V to connect the two 2M2 resistors (and an input coupling cap, of course) and power the Op-Amp from +9V & GND..

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

P-Trash

Hm, sounds more difficult then I expected. But thanks for the aswer anyway ;D

antonis

You're wellcome but I can't see any advanced difficulty.. :icon_wink:

At least, not such of the level of trying to "equalize" many amps & signal grounds..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..