Boss-CE2 Full Clone

Started by Federicken, November 17, 2017, 09:02:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Federicken

Hi everyone,  :), this is my first post.
I'm just trying to make and exact clone of the Mithical Boss-CE2. I've managed to grab the schematic:
http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/s/schematics/boss-ce2-chorus-schematic.gif

I need help to understand the wiring numbers, so far I have that..

13 15 are leads for Check indicator.
5 is the output.
16 and 14 are the SPST leads / on-off SW.
2 is the input.
12 ground (sleeve from in jack? Stereo).
9 is the positive from the power supply (Boss pedals are positive centered).
11 lug 3 of VR2
1 lug 2 of VR2
7 luga 1 of VR2
8 lug 3 of VR1
10 lug 2 of VR1
6 lug 1 of VR1
3 and 4 -> 3: ring input jack to D5,R53, and then to the negative from DC JACK

Is this okay? I need to check that in order to etch the PCB from the service manual
Thanks in advance, Fede.

bloxstompboxes

Don't have an original to be able to help with your question, but are you including the in and out buffers and fet switching? Reason I ask is that this pedal already has layouts on multiple sites without them. It would save you a lot of trouble.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

Federicken

Blox, thanks for answering, I really dont like the Tonepad Layout, as I think that: a) the traces are too near one to each other, and b) yes, I'm adding the buffers, including the electronic switching, which I consider that is a trademark of Boss Pedals (André stated in one topic that the original - CE2 and its full clone are more subtle than Tonepad's version).

I will use this layout with BC639 (ECB transistor NPN); Tonepad uses 2n5088 - 2n3904 (EBC transistor NPN).
http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/s/schematics/ce2b-bass-chorus-board.png

PS: Is there another layout which is not tonepads version?

Thanks!

Fender3D

Buffer is on TP circuit also...
Andrè is deaf or lying, since the only difference, when the effect is on, is just a FET in ON mode (more or less few hundreds ohm in series with R22).
Anyway, Boss layout follow exactly the schematic: numbers going to external stuff are the same in layout and schematic.
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

Federicken

Quote from: Fender3D on November 17, 2017, 12:07:25 PM
Andrè is deaf or lying, since the only difference, when the effect is on, is just a FET in ON mode (more or less few hundreds ohm in series with R22).
Anyway, Boss layout follow exactly the schematic: numbers going to external stuff are the same in layout and schematic.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=68177.0

I think that Boss electronic Swithing might have some issue in "colouring" the sound, and I'm trying to clone as closest as possible (transistors cannot be found so I've made the replacement on the bill of materials)... Havent tried a real CE-2 though vs Tonepad.

Thanks for the answer.

Fender3D

Boss switching is a FET, flip-flop won't harm anything in audio path.
When the effect is on, FET is on and its ohmic value is few hundreds ohm.
It will be way less than the 5% R22 resistor tolerance...

...so... no! in this case the switching won't affect or colour the sound

Federicken

Quote from: Fender3D on November 17, 2017, 12:47:29 PM
Boss switching is a FET, flip-flop won't harm anything in audio path.
When the effect is on, FET is on and its ohmic value is few hundreds ohm.
It will be way less than the 5% R22 resistor tolerance...

...so... no! in this case the switching won't affect or colour the sound

Thanks for the info  :D

NFX

Federicken

Ripthorn

Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

Andre

Quote from: Fender3D on November 17, 2017, 12:07:25 PM

Sounds quite harsh being called deaf or a liar.
Here's the message Federicken refers to:

Quote from: Andre on May 26, 2008, 10:55:45 AM
I recently got me a completely stripped CE-2 enclosure, even the bottom plate was missing and it looked like it had been under water for some time.
Since I already built a Tonepad CE-2 and I really like the sound, I decided to rebuild this CE-2 as close to the original as possible.
So I cloned the the PCB by copying it from a picture at www.bossarea.com.
I used the original Japanese transistors and ordered all the mechanic parts from Smallbear including
the right size DC-jack and footswitch.
I made a new bottom plate from doublesided PCB material and now I've got me a nice CE-2 Clone.
It does sound a little different from the Tonepad version, but I guess this is caused by the electronic switching.
Sounds very nice though, maybe a little more subtle than Tonepad's.
I will post some pics shortly.

As my PCB design is very close to the original design, I'm not sure if I can post it here, but if anyone is interested
I can email it of course.

André

I did not state the difference was caused by the FET switching but was just guessing.
Might as well be component tolerances or other capacitor types used.
Anyway they sounded and still do sound different from each other.

Fender3D

I didn't mean to be harsh and I didn't read the message until F. posted the link, I did intend there's no difference between the 2 circuits since they're, FET aside, the same.

You know, around the web there are so many posts needing more a otorhinolaryngologist than an electronic engineer when dealing with guitar and audio...

armdnrdy

Quote from: Fender3D on November 18, 2017, 09:49:33 AM
You know, around the web there are so many posts needing more a otorhinolaryngologist than an electronic engineer when dealing with guitar and audio...

Or....an ornithologist to tell whether [or not] two effect pedals are truly "birds of a different feather."   :icon_lol:
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

alfafalfa

One of the Madbean porkbarrel versions doesn't work so take care what version you use !!
I tried the wrong one before this knowledge was about  :-\