Microphone preamp for phone recording

Started by BetterOffShred, November 17, 2017, 10:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BetterOffShred

Hey guys, I have been wanting to record little demos of all my home-made manure with decent audio, but I'm kind of coming up short with my current setup.   I have an SM57 type microphone that works fantastic, but I don't currently have a computer interface for recording etc..what I was hoping to do is build a little box that will allow me to run the mic traditionally in front of the cab, to the box.. and then have a 3.5mm cord out of the box to my phone that uses the microphone sleeve on the plug for audio while recording video.

I've seen similar devices using the little button mics like the "Bootleg Mic" to name one, but I'd like to use a real microphone. (As in a directional mic for recording)

Any ideas on projects of this nature?  I'd love some suggestions :) thanks

diffeq

I have a cheapo microphone and was considering to make a preamp for it. I found a pretty good chip, INA217. Low noise, variable gain, single 8DIP package.
Here is a link to an article that describes it:
http://www.audiomasterclass.com/newsletter/the-famous-5-preamp-everything-you-need-to-know

There are vero layouts out there on some sites too.

BetterOffShred

Thanks for sharing :) I'll scope it out!
-Brett

PRR

An SM57 on a gitar amp is way more signal than any speech-mike input needs. And so much that balanced connection is not needed. Wire it straight in.

Except the cellphone mike circuit has DC in it for electret mike elements. While this may not smoke your SM57, you really want a capacitor to block the DC.

It really can be that simple.

Or it may overload the mike input. May need a 1K trim pot.
  • SUPPORTER