dumb guy question-- through hole & smd

Started by plexi12000, November 18, 2017, 10:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plexi12000

I was looking for diodes.  why does a "through hole" have two leads....but a similar "smd" has three tabs?

Tony Forestiere

So the "pick and place" machines can properly orient them.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

R.G.

Good guess - but PnP machines commonly orient the two-lead diode packages correctly.

It's because the SOT-23 package is so very common, and two-diode combos in the same package exist. So in the same SOT-23 package, you can get one diode, two diodes with a common anode on the third lead, two diodes with a common cathode on the third lead, or two diodes in series with the middle tap on the third lead.

Placing components on a PCB is very close to following the old programming mantra - almost always is almost always as good as always. Commonality of package size and shape makes for very efficient layouts.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Tony Forestiere

Dang! I love to learn something new every day!
Thanks R.G.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

plexi12000

awesome!  Thank you for sharing, R.G.!