DOUBLE DIRT BOX

Started by pgorey, November 30, 2017, 01:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pgorey

Been a while since I have been on.  I end up camping a fair amount during Summer / Fall and find myself getting back into these types of projects come Winter.  I have an idea for a simple dual distortion box that has simple (hopefully) loop /routing options.

I keep coming back to my first TS808 and OCD v3 clones.  Both are hot rodded for more overall dirt headroom but clean up nicely and stack really well together.  I want to build a single box with both of these dirt options inside. I'd like to use the enclosure at the link below to house the guts of it all and will likely get it predrilled to save some time as I'm building this as a Christmas present for a buddy and any time saved is good.

https://www.mammothelectronics.com/products/4s1590bb-enclosure

Practically speaking is it too small?  I appreciate the tiny builds with neatly organized guts but I often lack the patience for planning that all out and don't mind large enclosures if it makes the build more laid back for me :)

Is there a relatively simple design for a toggle switch to give me the following routing options?

1. Either distortion first in a stack

In addition to the regular bypass switches for each dirt effect, I'd like a blend stomp switch that toggles both dirts on / off but instead of doing a stack, both distortions share the clean input and each discrete dirt output down-mixes to normal mono output.  I realize there may be some crazy phase things that could happen but it COULD be very cool.

Thanks for the help in advance.  It has been less than a year since I first joined and I have learned SO MUCH from this community.  Really thankful for the wealth of knowledge here.  I was able to get a lot of tricky questions answered and really frustrating troubleshooting completed because of everyone's support - that resulted in me building an entire pedal board of all my favorites since last Feb.  Anyway, thanks again! 

thermionix

Quotemore overall dirt headroom

1590BB is a good size for two circuits in one box.  Don't know what board(s) you intend to use or make.  You could orient it horizontally and 3 footswitches across the bottom wouldn't be extremely crowded.  I am considering such a build myself.

If you want a little more vertical room, with the same footprint, there is the 1590BBM.  That would make it easier to fit jacks under the board, for example.

GGBB

It is possible to do both the series-parallel and the order switching - lots of diagrams out there on the web. Just a note that connecting two pedals together in parallel might not be a good thing since impedances get mixed together. There was a good discussion about that here some time ago.
  • SUPPORTER

ElectricDruid

Quote from: pgorey on November 30, 2017, 01:01:00 AM
Is there a relatively simple design for a toggle switch to give me the following routing options?

1. Either distortion first in a stack

The simplest A->B or B->A order switching you can do needs a 3PDT toggle or foot switch. You can save yourself heartache on the wiring by using a pre-made PCB for it:

http://www.guitarpcb.com/apps/webstore/products/show/4611320

HTH,
Tom

roseblood11

Consider this:

I find it more useful than a series/parallel switch. You could add an effects order switch, off course.

pgorey

Some great resources here!  Thanks everyone!  There's a big, fat hole on my pedal board that I am going to fill with some variation of these designs.  The two circuits will be an OCD v3 that is hot-rodded for more dirt and a Tube Screamer that is also modded for more dirt and lower frequency bass response.