Author Topic: Stand alone effect building..... not in a stompbox  (Read 196 times)

mike.bd.clark

Stand alone effect building..... not in a stompbox
« on: November 26, 2017, 10:18:44 PM »
Hello!

I am starting a project where I want to add effects to an old keyboard / organ and am trying to find out the most economical, simple, and effective ways to add effects to the unit.

Rather than buying already made stompboxes or kits with an enclosure, does anyone know a good resource to buy  components and / or pcb's without the enclosure? I am mostly wanting to add a tremelo circuit to the unit and maybe get crafty enough to add a digital rotary speaker effect. If it becomes simpler and cheaper to take this task of, I would want to add other effects as well. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mth5044

Re: Stand alone effect building..... not in a stompbox
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 11:25:23 PM »
Would you consider buying PCBs and sourcing parts yourself? Would open you up to many more circuits than trying to find kits without enclosures

mike.bd.clark

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 12:18:06 AM »
Would you consider buying PCBs and sourcing parts yourself? Would open you up to many more circuits than trying to find kits without enclosures
Oh man. You're right. There is a local place where it at that holds tons of parts. If I ordered a few PCB's, I could source true rest locally..... or online. I suppose I am possibly trying to cheap out / be really lazy if I am able to. Do you know if any minimal circuits for tremelo, rotary speaker, reverb, blah blah? Like, I don't need anything too fancy. I was considering buying mini pedal kits as those will be a little more bare bones compared to full kits / units.

Hatredman

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 12:39:43 AM »
Oh man. You're right. There is a local place where it at that holds tons of parts. If I ordered a few PCB's, I could source true rest locally..... or online. I suppose I am possibly trying to cheap out / be really lazy if I am able to. Do you know if any minimal circuits for tremelo, rotary speaker, reverb, blah blah? Like, I don't need anything too fancy. I was considering buying mini pedal kits as those will be a little more bare bones compared to full kits / units.

Google these:
- Tonepad
- Run off Groove
- Tagboard Effects
- Geofx
- AMZ

Kirk Hammet invented the Burst Box.

mike.bd.clark

Stand alone effect building..... not in a stompbox
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 02:32:42 PM »

Google these:
- Tonepad
- Run off Groove
- Tagboard Effects
- Geofx
- AMZ

This is a gold mine of info. Thank you x 1,000,000

« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 01:44:57 AM by mike.bd.clark »

ElectricDruid

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 04:08:11 PM »
+1 what Hatredman said. There's a ton of good PCBs out there for the building. Choose a few, fill with components, do the necessary swearing and cursing to get them going and then you're a happy bunny!

T.