TS-808 mod questions

Started by mmoonlight542, December 09, 2017, 11:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmoonlight542

Hi! Please pardon the noob questions. I'm just starting to try and make my own pedals. And the main one I want to make is a TS-808 , but I want to improve on the original one. I know what I want , but am still trying to figure out how / the best way to do it. So, questions.

I'm a big fan of the overdrive side from the original v1 Jekyll and Hyde pedal.

I would like to add a switchable bass boost. and be able to switch between the circuit with and without it.

Question: what is the best way to do this?

I would like to increase the output volume. As stated by Visual Sound / Truetone themselves. "TS-808, but with far more output volume"

Question: how can I do this?

Sweeter tone - taken from geofex.com

Sweeter distortion - "the stock units use a pair of silicon signal diodes, which look identical to the 1N914/1N4148 devices. If you change one of these diodes, chances are that the resulting pair will not clip at the same voltage for positive and negative signals, giving you asymetrical clipping, and the resulting even order distortion. If you pick something close, like maybe a silicon power diode like the 1N400x series for the second diode, the resulting second harmonic will be very subtle, not audible as an octave effect at all, just a "sweeter" or more liquid tone. You can try a number of things like putting one germanium (1N34A from Radio Shack works) diode in series with one of the silicons to add a bit more threshold voltage to one side. A more radical treatment would replace one of the silicons with three germaniums; even more radical would replace one of the silicons with TWO silicons. These last will start to make an octave effect just barely audible at some notes on the guitar neck. I've even heard of using LED's in there for the clipping diodes. Go wild here."

Question: 1N400x? Can i use any of the 1N400s? So, I bought 1N4001 diodes and hope they work. I can buy a more fitting replacement if needed.

More bass - remember that 4.7K/0.047uF network on the (-) input of the clipping amp? To give yourself more bass, increase that cap to about 0.1uF. The (-) input is pin 2.

If any recommends any mods or tweaks I'd love to hear / learn about them.

I really want the switchable bass boost, much higher output volume, and sweeter tone.

I really don't know how to make the bass boost switchable and add the switch, or increase the volume output. as well as make the sweeter tone , I just want to know for sure what part to replace one of the original diodes with.

Thank you!! Any help would be much greatly appreciated. <3

thermionix

The 1N4001 will work fine.

There are probably hundreds of different diodes you could use, many thousands of combinations.

Get a breadboard if you haven't already.

Elijah-Baley

For more bass you have to increase C3 - 0.047uF. I tried 0.1nF and I like it. For make it switchable you need a DPDT toggle switch. The center lugs go in the holes of the original C3 cap on the board. The original cap goes on one of the pair of side lugs of the switch, the alternative cap on the other side lugs. It is a common mod and works for any kind od mod like this. I'm sure you can fine some layout.

For a smoother distortion I can advice you to use a pair of LEDs as diodes. Even these can be switchable with the same method above. You can use a pai of socket pins to try different diodes, 1N914, 1N4149, 1N34a, BAT41... I have two 1N914 on one side of the switch and two red LEDS on the other side.
The LEDs will give you more volume, but a less distortion.

Decreasing R6 51k resistor at, for example, 20k you will get less distortion at minimum setting of the gain.

I don't know how you can get more volume from this pedal. Excuse me if I ask, but are you sure you need more volume? Maybe you can try to power up at 18v. Watch out to the caps!
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel