SFT 316 - GE trans with 4 pins

Started by KarenColumbo, December 11, 2017, 10:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KarenColumbo

Guys, I just happened upon a single SFT 316 GE transistor at my local "I have it all" store. It has 4 pins. Why? Never suspected those three legged beauties to have an extra one ...
  • SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

amptramp

The fourth connection may be to the metal shell of the transistor case.

highwater

Datasheet (sort-of): http://www.semicon-data.com/transistor/tc/sa/SFT316.html

TO44 package. According to this page, the middle pin is an "interlead shield", probably just to reduce parasitic capacitance. Might be intended to connect to ground, maybe the emitter, or maybe just left unconnected. Unconnected is the safer option, and the reduced capacitance (if that is the point) is probably irrelevant at audio frequencies.
"I had an unfortunate combination of a very high-end medium-size system, with a "low price" phono preamp (external; this was the decade when phono was obsolete)."
- PRR

KarenColumbo

thx guys - couldn't find any info on this one, you solved this particular riddle
  • SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"