Tonepad DS-1 capacitor

Started by k3yPr0gg3r, December 14, 2017, 02:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

k3yPr0gg3r

Hi,

I'm building the Tonepad Disto-Uno, (Boss DS-1 circuit), and I've read the "What IC for the Tonepad DS-1" post suggesting the use of C1, C4, and C5 from the TA7135P parts list. Both C1, and C4 are 250p caps. I've gone to Mouser and found some from Vishay (labeled 250pF, 10%, X5F, 1kV). Also found some silver mica from Cornell Dubilier, (labeled 250pF, 5% 500V)...also comes in 2%. Which would be best to use? I've used 500V silver mica in Percolator builds, and they sound GREAT! If you've already built this, and have a different suggestion, please let me know...

Thank you

GibsonGM

Any 250p cap will work fine!  I can't imagine a scenario where you would be able to tell the difference, audibly....   :) 

Welcome to the forum, K3y...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

k3yPr0gg3r

ElectricDruid

...or stick a more-easily-available 220pF in instead and don't worry about it. Close enough. Call it "character".

And welcome!

T.

GibsonGM

Exactly ^    220, 250, 280...that's for high frequency garbage that you can't hear...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

bluebunny

Yeah, don't spend your money on silver mica caps.  Spend it on beer.  For us.   :icon_biggrin:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

thermionix

Quote from: GibsonGM on December 14, 2017, 02:24:35 PM

He joined same day as me.  Must have a life or something.

GibsonGM

Quote from: thermionix on December 14, 2017, 06:09:19 PM

...or maybe he got the disease right off...and has been home obsessing about pF caps - type, tolerance, temperature rating...ALL THIS TIME...

;) :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: 8)
  • SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

Quote...or stick a more-easily-available 220pF in instead and don't worry about it. Close enough. Call it "character".
Indeed.  Using all those "old values" like 250pF and 500pF often forces you to buy crazy parts when really you can just choose a standard value like 220pF or 470pF.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

PRR

> I've gone to Mouser

Mouser is great when you want "any specific part", know just what you want, and how to search for it.

Mouser, DigiKey, Rapid etc have parts I don't know what they are, some too small for me to see.

The pedal-parts stores are often easier to shop. They don't have strange new teeny parts that would never be used in DIY pedals. Mouser has 2,000 capacitors at 270pFd (the modern nominal value for the old 250). Many less than a mm long! Small Bear, Pedal Parts, etc will have about two: an NP0 Ceramic, and maybe a Mica, both with honest legs.

In this range (up to 1,000pFd), all caps are "perfect". It is not hard to make 250-270pFd. You could do it with a glass cover-slip and two bits of foil.

Yes, I also like the look of Mica. And while 500V is extravagant for 9V pedals, until recently there was no reason to shave the mica thinner. (Now with super-computer smart-phones in pockets, super-small caps are A Thing.) But the Micas cost about 20X more than ceramic. You can buy a can of ordinary beer with the difference.
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

Quote from: thermionix on December 14, 2017, 06:09:19 PM
Quote from: GibsonGM on December 14, 2017, 02:24:35 PM

he's been out drinking all our beer.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.